✅ SOLVED Hand Forged Spikes, Theyre Everywhere!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hand Forged Spikes, They're Everywhere!

Hey yall, I wanted to share now that I have dug four of these "spikes." The first two are in my storage bin, but I had one still on display in my house from when I found it a couple months ago. All four were found at separate locations. They were all found in plowed fields. All four have been hand forged, so that means they are pretty darned old, guessing 1850s or prior. Someone said it could be an ice pick, or a salt pick, but I have no ideas other than a weapon. Maybe this will be a quick ID since I have dug so many of them. Thanks!

IMAG0195.jpg
This one I dug today at a colonial site
IMAG0205.jpg
The one on the left I found today, the one on the right was from a few months back.
IMAG0214.jpg

coins1.JPGBought "dug" hammered coins
coins.JPGsome flipped, others in same orientation

Last edited:
No they are not threaded, these things are OLD and crudely made. Someone at my club mentioned that they could have been anchor stobs to tie a horse to a tree. I don't think so.

Upvote 0
Is it possible that they could be colonial period door latch pintles?

Upvote 0
it looks like those were made to be driven into something and then some sort of rope or wire would have been threaded through it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Spikes off of a horse drawn spike tooth harrow. harrow.jpgThey are used to break up the clods after the ground is plowed.

Upvote 0
Spikes off of a horse drawn spike tooth harrow. View attachment 693084They are used to break up the clods after the ground is plowed.

Ugly and Bosnmate, thanks for the ID! Thanks to everyone else for the ideas. What a GREAT I.D. section we have.

Upvote 0
Ugly and Bosnmate, thanks for the ID! Thanks to everyone else for the ideas. What a GREAT I.D. section we have.

I have seen quite a few spike tooth harrows over the years, and have dug quite a few teeth as well as some complete sections from them, but have never seen any teeth like yours. All the spike teeth that I have seen have been just that .. spikes. Based on my experiences, I am a tad bit skeptical of that as an ID for your items. I would love to see a photo of a harrow with those particular teeth if anyone has one.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-10-28 at 6.50.56 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-10-28 at 6.50.56 AM.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, judging by the relation between the relic and FoundInNC's hand, the smaller relic can't be over 4 inches long, including the loop which appears to make up about 1 1/2 inches of the total length. That means the spike portion would only be about 2 1/2 inches long, way to short to be a harrow spike. The other one is longer, but way to fragile to be a harrow spike.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back