Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Any help would be appreciated on this coin.

628C4F46-D401-4F0C-9C87-BB5D5D4FA378.jpeg 1D27D7DC-DDF7-4B0A-AC2B-D039DFE81185.jpeg

Best Wishes,

Buck

Upvote 0
They want to know where it was found?

Well I’m really excited by this ID and sort of speechless because this was found in Louisiana. Looked like a lump of junk but when I rubbed on it the silver shone through. Was hoping for 1600s but good God...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s 20mm.

Here are better photos. Hope it looks like silver to everyone now.

ED257472-8061-4374-AB94-5860D587742C.jpeg A7849A67-E4B7-4E99-8066-DED0A82B772A.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s 20mm.

Here are better photos. Hope it looks like silver to everyone now.

View attachment 1621445 View attachment 1621446

Beautiful find, I couldn't image finding anything that old. I don't think it is a recent drop either, by that I mean it being accidentally dropped by a collector or someone who happened to have it with them for some reason in the past 100 years or so. The patina looks correct for a silver coin that has been underground for a long time. Perhaps it was dropped by an early settler to the area (in the 1600's or 1700's, depending on where in Louisiana you found it) who had recently came to America. Coins were used for a long time back then, but still, 300 years would still be a very long time for a coin to be circulation. Maybe it was already dug back in Europe, giving it the color it has now, but then dropped by a collector or someone carrying it as a conversation piece more recently? Of course though, there is always that chance that some people somehow traveled across the ocean in an undocumented voyage from Europe to Louisiana in the 1400's, and accidentally dropped the coin while they were there, a little bit unlikely but possible. There were also a few Spanish explorers in Louisiana in the early 1500's, perhaps this coin could be from them? Incredible find, It's amazing just thinking about how it somehow got dropped in Louisiana.

Also, the depth of this find may give a clue as to how long ago it was dropped.

Upvote 0
Dude...I'm with Cman. That is some crazy Shite!
I'll see you in Dec. You better put me on some crazy finds like that!
Imagine how that got here in the USA...Speechless....Bravo!

Upvote 0
Beautiful find, I couldn't image finding anything that old. I don't think it is a recent drop either, by that I mean it being accidentally dropped by a collector or someone who happened to have it with them for some reason in the past 100 years or so. The patina looks correct for a silver coin that has been underground for a long time. Perhaps it was dropped by an early settler to the area (in the 1600's or 1700's, depending on where in Louisiana you found it) who had recently came to America. Coins were used for a long time back then, but still, 300 years would still be a very long time for a coin to be circulation. Maybe it was already dug back in Europe, giving it the color it has now, but then dropped by a collector or someone carrying it as a conversation piece more recently? Of course though, there is always that chance that some people somehow traveled across the ocean in an undocumented voyage from Europe to Louisiana in the 1400's, and accidentally dropped the coin while they were there, a little bit unlikely but possible. There were also a few Spanish explorers in Louisiana in the early 1500's, perhaps this coin could be from them? Incredible find, It's amazing just thinking about how it somehow got dropped in Louisiana.

Also, the depth of this find may give a clue as to how long ago it was dropped.

I had assumed that this was an early 1700s site but it could date earlier. Only this coin and lead balls dug.

Upvote 0
Ask Westfront if he knows.

That was/is a tough one Cru. With all these duchys in Germany at this time. Fact is, the coin is one of the German Order. Von Jungingen is close, Truchsess von Wetzhausen is close too, my thinking is Michael Küchmeister von Sternberg 1414-1422. Sternberg even has the star/Stern in his name and is one the e of moneta fits.
Diameter fits as Shillings are 20-21mm. Weight goes from 1.3 to 1.7 grams.

BB...big congrats! A coin with quite a bit German history behind. Not exactly what you can call rare here, but a KILLER find in Louisiana! :notworthy:

His coat of arms.

Attachments

• ima929.jpg
    ima929.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Wappen Küchmeister.gif
    Wappen Küchmeister.gif
    18 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That was/is a tough one Cru. With all these duchys in Germany at this time. Fact is, the coin is one of the German Order. Von Jungingen is close, Truchsess von Wetzhausen is close too, my thinking is Michael Küchmeister von Sternberg 1414-1422. Sternberg even has the star/Stern in his name and is one the e of moneta fits.
Diameter fits as Shillings are 20-21mm. Weight goes from 1.3 to 1.7 grams.

BB...big congrats! A coin with quite a bit German history behind. Not exactly what you can call rare here, but a KILLER find in Louisiana! :notworthy:

His coat of arms.
Thanks, I felt the IDs were very close but not quite a full attribution, & you have just confirmed why!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back