✅ SOLVED Hallmark Help Please

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a thrift store yesterday and found a 283.3 gram Sterling bowl for $3 and this other one that doesn't seem like silver but was again only $3. Here is the picture of the unknown piece.
IMG_4247.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    983.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4243.JPG
    IMG_4243.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 29
I don't immediately recognise the maker but will do a bit of checking for you. Initial guess would be European and possibly French or German. Good ones are in silver, but they were also made in silver plate...

... It's a "tastevin" cup for checking the quality of wines. Those indentations are a traditional part of the design for these cups. In olden times, tasting was conducted in dimly lit vaults and cellars with nothing more than candles or lanterns for illumination; the indentations served to reflect light into the wine to help judge its colour and clarity.

Upvote 3
OK... it's definitely French. The centre mark is incomplete but is for 'METAL BLANC' (literally 'white metal') and an indication for silver plate. There seems to be a large '10' mark to the right (or possibly '18'), which will be an indication for the amount of silver in grams used in the plating bath for a number of items (usually a dozen). The 'GM' mark to the left will be the maker mark but my reference library notes that it's currently unidentified. All I could say for sure is that the style of the marks puts the piece later than 1860 but before 1983.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Thanks for all the information. I didn't think it was silver but still to cool to pass up. It was sitting beside this 283.8 gram Sterling bowl.

Attachments

• IMG_4240.JPG
    IMG_4240.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4241.JPG
    IMG_4241.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back