Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings all! It's been a while since my last post. Some major home renovation projects have been eating into my detecting time. The few times I have had a chance to get out haven't produced much either. So it goes. I did spend about 3 hours yesterday in a favorite section of woods. For a change, I actually found a few nice items.

My favorite piece is this Civil War era buckle....or should I say half a buckle. Oddly enough it was about 6 inches down in the middle of a hiking trail. The buckle is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and has some weight to it. It also appears to have been gilded at some point. There are zero markings. I'm not at all sure how common this design is. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

004.JPG005.JPG

Other finds for the day included a 1902 IHP, a 1940-s Merc, an ornate head to a hair pin, and a sterling silver charm

001.JPG 002.JPG003.JPG

That's all for now. I hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend!

Upvote 2
Nice finds. I am not a buckle expert, but there are some on this site…..hopefully they can be of more help. A couple points I can make, for the few wreaths I have seen in person (all csa) the portion which attaches to the belt is “further away” from the wreath itself, connected by a piece of cast brass. This buckle also has small cutouts at the 12 and 6 position on the underside……I’ve never seen that before. Does appear to be cast and well made. My understanding is the union had some 2 piece buckles during the war, and that some militia units did prior to. Not sure if this is one of those. Long winded way of saying……nice wreath, hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than me can help you.

Well done on the recoveries.
Makes the hunt worthwhile.

Best of luck with the renovation.
Been there done/doing that one.

I hear we're going renovate.
My first reply is move out, and get it done a whole lot faster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back