Half Adze and Half Ceremonial Pick, Maybe?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe the porphyry piece is half an adze, and the polished slate (?) piece is a 'Ceremonial Pick'...but not sure. I have never seen or read about 'Ceremonial Picks' until these two items came up for sale. Auction sale prices show that they are rare and valuable...when whole. When broken in half?

These two items - and a field grade, common point, sold for $150 total.

I would like to read more about Ceremonial Picks.....anyone have a good link to a summary for me?

2.JPG
3.gif
4.JPG
150.JPG

Upvote 0
I think the rod is 1/2 of an old carbon lightning discharge device to protect high voltage power lines. They are generally twice that long and pointed on both ends. The repeated discharges eroded the rods to points, they were then discarded and new ones installed. Pretty common because the linemen just tossed them rather than take them back to the garage.

the hole in the center of the pick like item does not look like i would expect to find in a authentic relic of that type.

I think the rod is 1/2 of an old carbon lightning discharge device to protect high voltage power lines. They are generally twice that long and pointed on both ends. The repeated discharges eroded the rods to points, they were then discarded and new ones installed. Pretty common because the linemen just tossed them rather than take them back to the garage.

This reply is why I like this Forum so much! Thanks, D-Scratcher!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back