Had a good day for silver

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the first time I have gotten out since coming back from CTH. Man was I craving something old to pop out of the ground. I met a friend for about a hour hunt at house place that produced several wheaties, quite a few mercs and several barbers. We were there about 45 mins when the first silver of the day came out.
306897_2276426317693_1459777321_2447455_677765860_n.jpg
That was a surprise because I have hit that yard hard in the last year. Well he had to leave so I moved down to homeplace I've been finding the IH's... The very first target hit low silver..
300591_2276489679277_1459777321_2447482_1448739118_n.jpg
It was thin I'm thinking another worn merc...
292703_2276491399320_1459777321_2447483_1421304320_n.jpg
it ended up being a very worn 1912 Barber... I snapped the pic made two swings and another 8-40 signal... Man now I got a surprise..
310661_2276506319693_1459777321_2447491_815473690_n.jpg
a 1894O Barber.. I tried to have the trifecta but couldn't find a silver rosie... But I'm not complaining one bit... ;D
GH.

Upvote 0
Love finding barbers to this day. You had a sweet hunt :thumbsup:

mikefromIllinois said:
Nice coins. That 1894o barber dime is a semi-key date and list for 70.00 dollars in G-4 in the red book.
awesome thanks for the heads up... Yeah that coin is 13 years older than Statehood.

Love the finds, I haven't had a chance to get out since CTH. Hope to real soon though. It was nice meeting you.

Old River

Congrats on your three silvers Gonehunting! :hello2:

You mentioned, "I have hit that yard hard in the last year." Have you had a heavy rainfall lately? I'm just wondering what made the difference for you in this hunt that you found all that old silver? I've been hunting an 1880 school site all summer that's given up a lot of old silver, but I have the feeling there's still more to find if only we'd get a significant rainfall! I need more depth and the moisture would give me that. It's been at least 6 weeks since we've had steady rain here, that's why I'm so curious? :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Dave

ANTIQUARIAN said:

You mentioned, "I have hit that yard hard in the last year." Have you had a heavy rainfall lately? I'm just wondering what made the difference for you in this hunt that you found all that old silver? I've been hunting an 1880 school site all summer that's given up a lot of old silver, but I have the feeling there's still more to find if only we'd get a significant rainfall! I need more depth and the moisture would give me that. It's been at least 6 weeks since we've had steady rain here, that's why I'm so curious? :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Dave
No rain. I got the Etrac in feb, and this was one of the yards that I started in. I found a roll of rosy's in the front yard and several mercs and a several IH's. I had grided the heck out of this yard.
So this last week I started using my 5 inch trash coil and its been doing good.

Old River said:
Love the finds, I haven't had a chance to get out since CTH. Hope to real soon though. It was nice meeting you.

Old River
You too man...

Gonehunting said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:

Thanks,
Dave
No rain. I got the Etrac in feb, and this was one of the yards that I started in. I found a roll of rosy's in the front yard and several mercs and a several IH's. I had grided the heck out of this yard.

A full roll of Rosie's!? :o Were there any silver ones in there? I recently purchased a 5" Sniper Coil for my ACE 350, but I found the surface area it was covering was hard to get use to as I wasn't finding much. After working with an 8 1/2" x 11" for so long, I think I just need to be more patient and really slow my swing speed down. I've not gridded the area out as well as I should have though and I think I need to give the 5" coil another go, but keep it confined within a much smaller footprint.

Thanks for your help, :icon_thumright:
Dave

ANTIQUARIAN said:
Gonehunting said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:

Thanks,
Dave

A full roll of Rosie's!? :o Were there any silver ones in there? I recently purchased a 5" Sniper Coil for my ACE 350, but I found the surface area it was covering was hard to get use to as I wasn't finding much. After working with an 8 1/2" x 11" for so long, I think I just need to be more patient and really slow my swing speed down. I've not gridded the area out as well as I should have though and I think I need to give the 5" coil another go, but keep it confined within a much smaller footprint.

Dave
Lol yeah they were all 1957's or 1956's. They were what appeared to be a wax roll. Some of it was still wrapped around them.
As far as the sniper or smaller coil. Bear in mind my small coil is a dd. So I get close to a 5inch coverage sweep(maybe) at pretty much equal depth across the coil. I am not sure about the sniper coil. If its a coecentric, then your deepest detect is only in the center of the coil, and a lot smaller coverage with each swing so you will have to overlap each swing a lot more to get the deeper coins.
I have a slower swing speed with my larger coils now that I have used the "smaller" coil, but the Etrac needs slower swing speed anyway(in high trash). As far as the Ace goes not sure, but try slowing your speed down. If you have ever watched the military do a mine sweep with the handheld detectors and how slow they go, well that about how I look sometimes. Especially in high trash. I listen fore every higher tone an check it. And most says if the signal doesn't repeat at a 90 degree angle or from a different direction its probably not good, well I don't believe that. I have found several masked coins that didn't repeat except in one direction. I think that's why we can go back to a hard hit yard or park and still find old coins. Cause there are 360 degrees or ways to come up to a target. Some targets are so masked by iron, trash, etc, that it only takes that one degree to hit it, to find it. That's why I use griding and usually hit the yard from three different directions. It may seem crazy for some but it works for me. You give it a try it may work for you.

now that's a day worth having. maybe when I get my etrac back, I'll start having better luck. I don't know how long it's been messing up. I know I've got a site I'm going back to. I know it has to have some goodies, I just haven't found them......YET

Sniffer said:
now that's a day worth having. maybe when I get my etrac back, I'll start having better luck. I don't know how long it's been messing up. I know I've got a site I'm going back to. I know it has to have some goodies, I just haven't found them......YET
Well if its in that town you live in there has got to be good targets!! Good luck..

it's not too far from here, they use to play baseball there, complete with a stadium and also had track & field events, it was used from around 1910 to 1930, so I know there has to be some goodies

Gonehunting said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:
Gonehunting said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
Lol yeah they were all 1957's or 1956's. They were what appeared to be a wax roll. Some of it was still wrapped around them.
As far as the sniper or smaller coil. Bear in mind my small coil is a dd. So I get close to a 5inch coverage sweep(maybe) at pretty much equal depth across the coil. I am not sure about the sniper coil. If its a coecentric, then your deepest detect is only in the center of the coil, and a lot smaller coverage with each swing so you will have to overlap each swing a lot more to get the deeper coins.
I have a slower swing speed with my larger coils now that I have used the "smaller" coil, but the Etrac needs slower swing speed anyway(in high trash). As far as the Ace goes not sure, but try slowing your speed down. If you have ever watched the military do a mine sweep with the handheld detectors and how slow they go, well that about how I look sometimes. Especially in high trash. I listen fore every higher tone an check it. And most says if the signal doesn't repeat at a 90 degree angle or from a different direction its probably not good, well I don't believe that. I have found several masked coins that didn't repeat except in one direction. I think that's why we can go back to a hard hit yard or park and still find old coins. Cause there are 360 degrees or ways to come up to a target. Some targets are so masked by iron, trash, etc, that it only takes that one degree to hit it, to find it. That's why I use griding and usually hit the yard from three different directions. It may seem crazy for some but it works for me. You give it a try it may work for you.

Thank you very much for the tips GH! :thumbsup:
I really appreciate it!

Dave

PS. They were all silver 1957's or 1956's!!! :o Man what a score! :notworthy:

Attachments

• Garrett ACE Sniper Coil.jpg
    Garrett ACE Sniper Coil.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 325
Tuberale said:
Please show us the other side of the 1894 O too. Exciting!
I wish I had. I actually sold it yesterday to ICG. They had a stop at the holiday inn. I got about 50% of the v4 because there was a old scratch on the back.. I guess I could take a pic of the check. Lol. They were leaving town and the nearest coin buyer is over 100 miles away. So owell. But thanks for looking.

Attachments

• check.jpg
    check.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 311

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back