Gunpowder booby trap in money pit

Even if someone finds a paper that wrote about it. There won't be any pics of it. It was supposedly found around 1804-ish. Cameras weren't widely developed and used till many years later. Here is the catch 22 of this. Lots of people on here have been saying for years where is it written about. No one has found that, yet some how news got around as they kept showing up for their chance to search. NOW, if someone finds something written about it, these same people would say the old adage of "Well you can't believe everything you read"...

Yeah, funny thing.
There IS a picture of the 90 ft stone, but I don't know what it means.
Right here on a thread on TNET titled "The 90 ft stone...the evidence..." record #15.
I have doubts about it.
There obviously did exist a stone with markings on it, but WHEN?
Was it the real thing?
It doesn't seem to have the same size as what the OI team pulled from under the book bindery, which means either it or the book bindery stone OR BOTH(?) are false since both can't be true.
Anyone has any information?

Any photos of the stone are atleast 30-40 years after it was supposedly found.. Here is some posts about it from 6 years ago on this site.

Thanks for the info.
Am troubled by the different versions of the translations.."Forty feet below...", "Ten feet below...". Clearly both versions cannot be correct. Seems to me it was altered to Forty to continue to put the treasure of of reach, which makes Forty a later version and fake. It would mean the stone in the picture is fake.
Was this the first fake?

1722444878559.png

90 ft stone - last comments, I swear.

In the hunt for the person who (allegedly)
first faked the inscription on the 90 ft stone, a person of interest is the John Smith who built a house near the money pit in 1824, which had the stone tucked in the fireplace in a way that marks could be seen.

If not actually the scratcher of the marks, he would (allegedly) know who did.

A clue is in a 1919 Prospectus (in an attempt to reassure investors that such a stone existed) stating that it was "viewed by thousands of people".

Wait....WHAT?

This suggests that John had a role of ticket seller/taker? to view the stone, the pit, defunct equipment, etc. Take a picnic basket, make a day of it.

You know, like some sort of OAK ISLAND TOURS.

Guess anything is possible but kinda doubt there were 1000's of people in the area that cared about it at the time. Let alone boated across to OI to look at it. Unless before it was in the fireplace or after that house fell or was torn down and the rock was over on the mainland to be viewed...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back