1,018.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
It almost looks like it could be a trigger sear or maybe the pawl of a revolver that rotates the cylinder. Is there any indication of a hole that a pin would have gone through or a pin that could have been a part of it, but broke off, that would allow it to pivot?

Upvote 1
It almost looks like it could be a trigger sear or maybe the pawl of a revolver that rotates the cylinder. Is there any indication of a hole that a pin would have gone through or a pin that could have been a part of it, but broke off, that would allow it to pivot?
I don’t see where a hole would be. I guess this could be “broken” I’m not sure

Upvote 0
I have seen some gun parts that slide in slots and don't have holes for pins in them. One that comes to mind is an extractor on an old Marlin-Ballard .22 I have.

Upvote 2
Found at an old site. I think I posted this before. I cleaned it up it was heavily rusted. It says something I think it’s letter R can’t quite make it out. The back his that thin groove in it. Anyone’s thoughts are appreciated . Found where some 1860s-1880s items if that helps .
Looks like a pawl or a stop for something meant to turn one way

Upvote 4
Looks like a pawl or a stop for something meant to turn one way
That's exactly what I was referring to when I said it could be a revolver pawl. Not saying that's what it is. That's just first thing my mind went to when I saw "Gun part?" :tongue3:. The pawl rotates the cylinder into the next position when the hammer is pulled rearward. It will allow the cylinder to rotate in one direction and stops the cylinder from rotating in the opposite direction.

Like a crank wheel?
Yes, just like fishing rod reels or the rear wheel on a mountain bike. You can pedal the bike forward, but not backwards.

Upvote 1
That's exactly what I was referring to when I said it could be a revolver pawl. Not saying that's what it is. That's just first thing my mind went to when I saw "Gun part?" :tongue3:. The pawl rotates the cylinder into the next position when the hammer is pulled rearward. It will allow the cylinder to rotate in one direction and stops the cylinder from rotating in the opposite direction.

Yes, just like fishing rod reels or the rear wheel on a mountain bike. You can pedal the bike forward, but not backwards.
Actually there is a cylinder lock pin that comes from the bottom of the frame that locks the cylinder in place(the recess you see on all revolvers on side of cylinder) when you draw the hammer back it disengaged the cylinder then the pawl rotated the cylinder while rotating the lock pin is released so as to lock the cylinder again as soon as the next chamber is online with the chamber that's what makes that little ring around your cylinder from pushing on it while in rotation. The pin locks then your sear engages the hammer in the ready to fire condition in that order.if double action a long squeeze of the trigger does the same.

Upvote 1
Actually there is a cylinder lock pin that comes from the bottom of the frame that locks the cylinder in place(the recess you see on all revolvers on side of cylinder) when you draw the hammer back it disengaged the cylinder then the pawl rotated the cylinder while rotating the lock pin is released so as to lock the cylinder again as soon as the next chamber is online with the chamber that's what makes that little ring around your cylinder from pushing on it while in rotation. The pin locks then your sear engages the hammer in the ready to fire condition in that order.if double action a long squeeze of the trigger does the same.
If the pawl locked the cylinder your timing of lockup would go out the window quick fast and n a hurry then you have to bring it to somebody like me to fix it.lol

Upvote 1
If the pawl locked the cylinder your timing of lockup would go out the window quick fast and n a hurry then you have to bring it to somebody like me to fix it.lol
Lol, thank very much for the clarification.8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JMHO here mind you, and understand I'm not saying yall are wrong. I've seen quite a few pawls, doesn't mean I've seen all of them.

But all I've ever seen is pawls with a built in pin/tab (Majority) or a hole for a pin or spring to attach to (Minority). Examples of the styles I mentioned.

s-l1600.jpg
20210210_111027-scaled-1.jpg

Upvote 2
JMHO here mind you, and understand I'm not saying yall are wrong. I've seen quite a few pawls, doesn't mean I've seen all of them.

But all I've ever seen is pawls with a built in pin/tab (Majority) or a hole for a pin or spring to attach to (Minority). Examples of the styles I mentioned.
Yep, that why I was asking Nathan if he could see a hole that was gunked up or the remnants of a pin that could be broken off. It would have to pivot somehow. Anyway, I'm going to say I am wrong because I don't think a revolver pawl would be that large and I don't want to hijack his thread :tongue3:

Upvote 1
If I doesn't have a pin or hole imm sure it's not just looks like one and they all are a little different except for what it holds it to the hammer some are two PC. Still trying to rember what in hell I had apart that looks like it though.

Upvote 0
Yep, that why I was asking Nathan if he could see a hole that was gunked up or the remnants of a pin that could be broken off. It would have to pivot somehow. Anyway, I'm going to say I am wrong because I don't think a revolver pawl would be that large and I don't want to hijack his thread :tongue3:
Your good man lol

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back