Gun on first dig!

listerr

Jul 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just received a MD as a gift. Took it outside to try it out. Our home was built in 1870 so I suspected I'd find some neat stuff. I decided to dig the first hit I got. Found these two pieces about 8 inches down. I know nothing about guns! But it's pretty heavy maybe 2-3 lbs and the barrel is close to 4 inches. Bore looks to be 3/8". What kind of gun and how old? Any good reason it was buried? Thanks. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Very cool find, especially for a first!

I cannot help with ID, but it looks like it could be a .38 cal or so. I would think a larger caliber would have a bigger frame?

There should be some ID stamped on the barrel, but corrosion has had it's way with it.

Upvote 0
Good reason to bury it might be couldn't afford a gun safe and needed to keep the kids from playing with it.

Plenty of bad reasons to bury it!

Very cool first find!

Upvote 0
Wow! That's a toy? Like I said, I know nothing about guns. Ha! Curious how to tell the difference with all that rust. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I think I went off half cock on my post above . Thinking it could be a colt . I have never seen the inside of the grips that looks like that . It does appear to be a single action because the pin that pushes the shells out of the cylinder is offset under the barrel . I will look around and see what I can find. If you can try to clean it some more and try to get some better pictures.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone! I will see if I can get some of the gunk off...just soak in pure apple cider vinegar?

Upvote 0
Molasses.. A 5 gallon bucket of water and a couple of jars of Grandmas molasses from the grocery store or any kind you can find locally. The Phosphoric acid in the molasses will eat the rust. Do it outdoors. It stinks. And be patient. It could take several days. Based on what I see so far I'm with the camp that says it's probably a toy although most modern toy guns are made of pot metal.

Upvote 0
8 inches down, sounds like someone buried it, not lost
2-3LBS heavy, dosent seem like pot metal
maybe an old iron toy gun
search, vintage iron toy guns

Upvote 0
Hard to tell if toy or not with all the rust. Toys are normally cheap looking and light weight. After rust is gone it will be easier to determine.

Upvote 0
Wow! That's a toy? Like I said, I know nothing about guns. Ha! Curious how to tell the difference with all that rust. Thanks!

The reason I said toy is looking at the inside of the frame for the grip, it's nearly completely filled with a flat plate and there's no room in there for a mainspring. on a toy you'd have a much lighter and smaller spring since it doesn't need to strike a primer. On a real gun I'd expect it to look like these :

colt parts-2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back