✅ SOLVED Gun barrel? Handle for something?

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a Hayfield where I have found copper coins ranging in dates from 1723 to late 1800's, 1880's
95 % of the stuff found there is that old. Normally I would not try and date things to a site just because I normally find old to modern almost everywhere I hunt. I feel safe in saying this target is 1800's old The fat end looks broke off, I scraped with a knife at that spot and it looks like steel to me. For sure not brass or copper. I think personally we could rule out a pipe for smoking anything because it would br almost impossible to hold with your lips/teeth. The guy I was hunting with seems to know allot, self proclaimed expert 23 years knowledge. He might be I sure don't know. I'm saying gun barrel just because of the small end shape looks just like the Belgium boot pistol I found last year. He dismissed that idea in the field telling me right away it was a smoking devise. Today he said it's a part of a metal wax stamp. Sounds like that is possible, except I have not asked him how he came to that conclusion. He probably knows allot I'm just saying I don't know.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to google wax seals now, guess I should of started there, just figured I'd share my find also.
Brad

Resized_20170106_081125.jpgResized_20170106_081133.jpgResized_20170106_081142.jpgResized_20170106_081201.jpg

Almost forgot, on my Belgium boot pistol there was a makers mark on it. This target has no marks anywhere, I looked with a loop. It measures 2.5 inches long, 1/2 inch diameter on small end, 5/8's inches at large end at fattest point.

Pull handle for a high tank toilet? If that were it I would expect other plumbing stuff to have been in the area, so I would say that's just one possibility, and I'm sure there are others.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's a chain pull for an old steam whistle on a very old tractor

sent from my computer by frantically poking at the keyboard with a single finger

Upvote 0
Looks like a crank handle from a coffee grinder or some such thing.

Upvote 0
It's a high duty chain yank / crank grip-it. Used in a multitude of applications. If you want you could turn that into a toy canon with a little imagination. :)

Upvote 0
Looks like a crank handle from a coffee grinder or some such thing.

IMO... you are closest... IN shape... correct shape... wrong material... MOST grinders had wood handles.

Cept,... Tools.

250789085667.jpg

Upvote 0
It measures 2.5 inches long, 1/2 inch diameter on small end, 5/8's inches at large end at fattest point.

At that length, that is an awful small crank handle.

Just measured my hand crank grain mill. Its handle is 3 3/4" long, 1" wide.

And made of wood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not thinking "grinder"... perhaps another tool... such as hand drill ? or ? ?

Much smaller tool perhps... OR kitchen utensil.

Upvote 0
Realistically... this could be from anything.

Even a lamp. IMO

Upvote 0
I have been in the antique farm equiptment hobby for years and all the hand operated shellers, grinders,hand mills that I have or have seen have wooden handles. Because it is heavy and would hang straight down even in the wind, I'm starting to think chain pull of some kind. Tony
IMO... you are closest... IN shape... correct shape... wrong material... MOST grinders had wood handles.

Cept,... Tools.

View attachment 1399077

Upvote 0
I'm going to mark this one solved as a whatsit handle chain pull amajigger. Maybe another lesson for me on perspective, first out of the hole for me it was a gun. Haaaaaaaaaa reminds me about a week or so ago I was hunting with the other new buddy of mine and pulled a copper after meeting up in the field between our grids we were both working. We were talking because it was bitter cold and the ground was froze in certain spots that it was a real chore to get through. I took two steps and got the signal I dug out that copper. We were both looking at it off and on for the next hour. At first I was seeing "Chains", had to text Scrappy, Scrappy was like I'm not sure, clean it up later. Later I was seeing bust facing right along with the buddy Shawn, later he text me saying it was for sure a Drapped Bust. I had already text Scrappy telling him it was facing right and looked like that scary head bust. I never heard back from him (I think at that point Scrappy just figured I was overcome with hypothermia) Later after cleaning it at home it turned out to be a Coronet Head Cent (facing left), no date, lol
It's one of those things about this hobby I enjoy, "the mystery find"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back