"Ground Edge".... Completely or Slightly?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
(warning: I hope I am using the proper terminology - if not, please correct me!)

I have looked at a bunch of Clovis online photos to see what a 'ground edge' looks like: the flaking pattern has been ground down until smooth. And obviously, I have many 'flaked edges' / non-ground edges to see in my own collection.....but what would be most helpful is to see an edge that has been "lightly ground." Can you sometimes still see a little smoothed, reduced, inconspicuous flaking where the artisan perhaps did not completely grind away the flake pattern?

Here are some pics of the piece I am questioning: And do I understand correctly that grinding is indicative of Paleo or Early Archaic time period? Exclusively?

Thanks again!
IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2334.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The stem on your point shown is ground much like these Silver Lake points . Some are just dulled to take the sharp edge off its a paleo trait for sure and I find it on archaic points also .

Attachments

• P8011065.JPG
    P8011065.JPG
    444 KB · Views: 74
Rub your finger on the base, then rub your finger along the blade. You should feel the difference if it is ground. Paleo and early archaic usually ground, later periods, not so much. Gary

That is right. It can be seen,especially with a scope, but it's mostly a feel-thing. Light or heavy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back