Great hunt last weekend with another TNet member!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Last weekend another TNet member, Scolino, invited me to visit him in southern NJ and spend the day hunting with him and a friend of his. I jumped at the chance!

Scolino does great research on his locations, and the first site we visited (with permission of course) was an old homesite that is now in the middle of a farm field. It had all the signs: bricks, broken glass, pottery and oyster shells. And there were plenty of targets, though between the three of us only Scolino found a large copper (toasted beyond recognition). My favorite find was the MOTORMAN button/pin, which apparently was worn by the engineer of an electric trolley in the late 1800's.
At that first location I also found the tiny little bell shown in the second picture; it still had the clapper attached with a very fine wire, but the wire broke when I was cleaning the item. Any guesses as to what purpose a tiny bell like that would serve?
I was also happy to find the spoon pieces shown in the "Most interesting" picture because the spoon bowl was found about 5 feet from the short handle. Too bad it's so beat up.

After a few hours we left that first location to hit a second location nearby, but that one had modern trash and coins so we didn't stay long.
So, I was given the privilege of visiting the "honey hole" site where Scolino found his 1683 King Charles coin, and we spent about 90 minutes detecting there before I had to head home. Scolino's buddy found a large copper in a nearby field (not recognizable in the field), and my best find was the broken fork off of what was probably a shoe buckle (is that black material tombac?).

Overall it was a fantastic day and I had a lot of fun meeting up with a fellow TNet member. Thanks to Scolino for sharing his permissions with me, and I hope to return the favor in 2021!

Motorman button and tiny bell
i7CvXen.jpg maAGcUV.jpg

Tombac (?) broken shoe buckle fork, with one of the wheat pennies found that day:
ucgXTC7.jpg

The most interesting finds:
9MaYTjM.jpg

The less interesting finds:
Bx5evYT.jpg

The trash (just to show how much digging I was doing!):
mezHtzL.jpg

Upvote 10
Pretty sure its the first Motoman Button I've seen posted - pretty cool.

Pretty sure its the first Motoman Button I've seen posted - pretty cool.
One of our moderators Jeff_Of_PA found one back in 2015: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/restoration-projects/479055-toasted-button-sunday.html
The condition of the back of his (after he cleaned it) is much better than mine, which is why I didn't post a pic of the back. But my button front came out of the ground like that and I like the coloring so I didn't try do do any cleaning on it. Jeff_Of_PA did an amazing job restoring his back in 2015.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back