ridgerunner112

Greenie
Sep 10, 2022
in situ:
97BE3156-4EFB-4869-BA5B-4C17222CE27B.jpeg

031A2D4A-C46E-4C8C-90F6-9C927239364D.jpeg

Upvote 17
What is that a maul?

My eye was attracted to the banded material closer to you. Missed your find until I looked at the second photo.

That’s a really deep and wide groove.

we don’t see or hear of grooved mauls or axes in my area (N. Cal.) despite it being covered in trees. it facinates me. I’d like to learn more.

Last edited:
Great find! I missed it in the wide-angle photo. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

Very cool and interesting. Thanks for posting.

The second set of pics makes me agree with Relicgrubber that it is a natural rock. Tough call either way but the bit ends do not look to have been chipped or polished in any way.

Just my opinion, but It's the shape especially the back (poll) end, the flat sides and the bit shape that makes me think it is a maul, it doesn't look natural to me. Groove may be natural, not pecked. If I was a native and found it I would immediately think it would make a good maul.

Just my opinion, but It's the shape especially the back (poll) end, the flat sides and the bit shape that makes me think it is a maul, it doesn't look natural to me. Groove may be natural, not pecked. If I was a native and found it I would immediately think it would make a good maul.
I also think it’s a Maul but very water worn

Interesting. I don't think I have found a grooved axe like that. Most grooves are not as abrupt in the groove but more rounded and curved that flow from the axe face, into the groove and back out.
I am on the fence to it being a natural formation or an axe. I would have to view it in person.
Either way it's an interesting relic and worth keeping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back