Grandma’s gold

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in 1926 my grandmother, grandfather and father immigrated to the US from post WWI Germany and settled in northern New Jersey. My grandfather was a veteran of the Kaiser’s horse drawn artillery and took up stone masonry as a trade here in the states. My grandmother had another child after moving here (my aunt Helen) and they started
To carve out their American dream. In 1930, my grandfather was working in New York City on a sky scraper construction project when he fell to his death. This obviously shattered my grandmother leaving her to save as much money (in cash) as she possible could. She often thought of life in post war Germany and how the inflation completely destroyed the economy and how hard it made every day life. When she passed away in 1982 she left my dad some coins. Before my dad’s passing in 2016 he left them to my oldest brother and he just tossed them in a basket in his kitchen were I have seen them languishing with sun glasses, car keys and old books of matches. Anyway, on my birthday last month, he asked if I needed anything and I asked if I could buy one of the coins from him, he said “ you can have them”😉👍🏻 And he mailed them up to me along with a two cent piece and a large cent that have been missing from my collection since my folks move to Florida in the early 1990’s.
Thought maybe some of you would like to see them, I wish I could dig some just like them.
Be safe

Attachments

• CBF35408-1C36-41DE-AF21-ECDEC6C960BE.jpeg
    CBF35408-1C36-41DE-AF21-ECDEC6C960BE.jpeg
    684.7 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 65
Man those are SWEET! Loved the family history story, my grandparents came over from Post WWI Portugal where my grandfather served in the Portuguese Calvary during the war.

Nice story, and great coins! My grandfather came over from Germany after WWI where he was in the merchant marine, and sailed around in Southeast Asia. He didn't leave any coins, but we have lots of WWII German stamps from his letters from his family, and when we cleaned out his house after he passed, we found his service Luger with holster and extra mags in a shoe box! Found loaded with one in the chamber.

Nice story, and great coins! My grandfather came over from Germany after WWI where he was in the merchant marine, and sailed around in Southeast Asia. He didn't leave any coins, but we have lots of WWII German stamps from his letters from his family, and when we cleaned out his house after he passed, we found his service Luger with holster and extra mags in a shoe box! Found loaded with one in the chamber.
Yikes!!! I have my granddads iron cross second class and his sterling cigarette case that was in his pocket when he died, I’ll post pictures later on today

Very Sweet!!!! What a Gift!!!! Congrats!!!!

Sweet! I have some notes, coins, and stamps from WWII... they were given to me in an old homemade steel box that belonged to my great great grandfather, some neat family history along with it. Maybe I'll post em later.

Last edited:
Wow ! Nice gifts - if your 10 dollar gold piece has a D mint mark
you have a rather valuable coin !

All I can say is WOW. That was not what I would throw in a basket with car keys, and other misc items. Very nice.

That Luger is a real keeper.

Joe, I'm glad you now have the coins. Thanks for sharing that family story!

Such provenance Joe.

You may find coins like them, but you'll never find coins like them...

Congrats!

Back in 1926 my grandmother, grandfather and father immigrated to the US from post WWI Germany and settled in northern New Jersey. My grandfather was a veteran of the Kaiser’s horse drawn artillery and took up stone masonry as a trade here in the states. My grandmother had another child after moving here (my aunt Helen) and they started
To carve out their American dream. In 1930, my grandfather was working in New York City on a sky scraper construction project when he fell to his death. This obviously shattered my grandmother leaving her to save as much money (in cash) as she possible could. She often thought of life in post war Germany and how the inflation completely destroyed the economy and how hard it made every day life. When she passed away in 1982 she left my dad some coins. Before my dad’s passing in 2016 he left them to my oldest brother and he just tossed them in a basket in his kitchen were I have seen them languishing with sun glasses, car keys and old books of matches. Anyway, on my birthday last month, he asked if I needed anything and I asked if I could buy one of the coins from him, he said “ you can have them”😉👍🏻 And he mailed them up to me along with a two cent piece and a large cent that have been missing from my collection since my folks move to Florida in the early 1990’s.
Thought maybe some of you would like to see them, I wish I could dig some just like them.
Be safe

As much as your brother should be chastised for failing to appreciate his inheritance...hats off to him for passing them off to you!!! I'm sure he appreciated the fact they were gold...just not how much they meant to your grandma.

Very nice coins, even better story!

Some real nice pieces of family history for you to keep and pass on and some beautiful coins !

Yep,True treasures!! :thumbsup:

Those coins have some historical energy to them! Very interesting family history!

Awesome coins and great story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back