Got out a few times this week. Once w/Zoso at the silvermine, once at the Berg!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Man. I really do miss swinging the coil often, but my son's travel baseball schedule has been brutal with a ton of out of town tournaments on top of division play and scheduled league games. He's got a gun like you wouldn't believe and is sooo into the game that I don't wanna hold him back (an elite team that beat us 4-1 and went on to win a big USSSA tournament we were in, was gunning him during the game and clocked him at 76 mph. BTW...he's 13 yrs old. That's unheard of velocity for such a yound kid and their coach said he's never seen a 13 yr old over 73).
He's living with me for 6 weeks now for the summer and this week I'm off work so aside from 4 baseball games we DID get out twice to detect.
We met Zoso Monday and he took us into his hot spot (he calls the silvermine) and we basically whacked our way through insane Vietnam-like jungle growth and heat and came away with only a few wheats, old bullets shotguns shells and some other stuff. My three good finds there were an old Coke bottle, a silver earring and a nice 18K gold ring with a small emerald and some teeny diamond chips alongside it. Nice ring nonetheless. I also dug a copper pendant with an Indian etched on it.
Today Spencer and I went to the Iceberg (ignoring severe TStorm warnings) and again it was like a jungle there too and very hot. We ran out of water and cool drinks after only 3 hrs and had to leave. I wasn't really prepared for the heat and humidity today (never did storm-blew right over even though we heard a tornado siren in the distance).
Digging in this weather sucks royally! Sweat constantly in your eyes, clothes soaked, mosquitos dining on your hide....
Ended the day with a handfull of wheats (oldest 1919), two silver (36 Merc and a 47 Rosie) and some older Jeffersons. Spencer was into it for a while and probably dug more than half the wheats using his Ace250. Also got a few marbles. The ones in the pics inside the Coke bottle are from previous trips there. I dug two 1956D wheats today and the "D" is in different positions on the two coins. I went to my Redbook and saw there is a 1956D "shadow D" coin. Maybe one of them is one?? Experts wanna chime in?
Enjoy the pics and HH all!!

Just throwing this one in...Spencer's new 'do
627finds-mowhawk 003.jpg
Spencer and I after today's hunt at the Element.
627finds-mowhawk 004.jpg
Closeup of today's stuff and trash
627finds-mowhawk 006.jpg
All finds from this week
627finds-mowhawk 008.jpg
closeup of the silver and ring
627finds-mowhawk 010.jpg
closeup of the two different 1956D wheaties...see how the D on one is lower?
627finds-mowhawk 011.jpg

Upvote 0
I pitched for 8 years. Get him a piece of surgical tubing and tie the ends together. Hook it around something behind him, whether its a hook or door, and make him stretch the tubing forward in his pitching motion. I would sit on the couch and do this 100 times while watching tv. Great for rotator cuff.

Oh, and little known key to pitching strength...a strong core. Hips, abs, back, and lats...get'em strong and he will continue to improve. Good luck, sounds like you have quite a prospect there.

Oh...and great finds btw

Nice digs Dan! Good to see the pics of your son..baseball's my game too! Best of luck to a fine young athlete!

Nat

WOW . . . 76 at 13 . . . nice!! I played college ball and 2 years in a minor league (not THE minor league - but a traveling league) . . . boy do I miss it (been a while now ;D). Sounds like he is on his way to becoming a great pitcher. KEEP HIM AWAY FROM TOO MANY CURVEBALLS!!!!!!! Instead have him work on a circle change and a slider which will put less stress on his arm. Remember . . . location, location location!! Ohhh boy here comes the coach out in me (sorry!).

On a side note my youngest son's T-Ball team just won the GA State Championship Tournament for USSSA! Fayetteville Braves if you want to look it up on their site!

Oh . . . nice digs too!!

Hi Dan, welcome back. Nice to see you and your son workin'.
He has a rocket arm for his age, I know everyone says that, but it's a fact.
Good luck with the baseball and future diggs'..

Keep safe...

Re: Got out a few times this week. Once w/Zoso at the silvermine, once at the Be

nice job, those wheats hold up real well there

HH
-GC

Dan, nice to see your able to do a little detecting. Well written and interesting
posts- -always are from the three amigos ( bob,nate & Dan). New variations can
show up with coins-- people tend to watch for them with new coinage now as compared to
years ago. Looks like a mint die variation to Me- -but i'm just an Amateur. I have several
differant examples of coin variations not listed-- most are minor and not worth much.I
missed in your post-- did you dig both coins?? if so- -quite an unusual coincidence!!
Keep posting & HH

Congrats on your digs and your son. Looks like you have some dirty knees Dan. LOL
That emerald ring is gorgeous! As it happens to be my birth stone e mail me and I'll send you my address, be sure you insure it when you send it to me. ;D It's been too hot to be digging too much in the grass, I'm sticking to tot lots and sand until we get a little more rain. Nice to have the kid for so long! My ex wouldn't let my daughters stay with me at all, she was a bit bitter. >:( Keep up the good diggin and make sure you bring enough cold drinks...you can always take them home if you don't use them.

Blackjack77 said:
Dan, nice to see your able to do a little detecting. Well written and interesting
posts- -always are from the three amigos ( bob,nate & Dan). New variations can
show up with coins-- people tend to watch for them with new coinage now as compared to
years ago. Looks like a mint die variation to Me- -but i'm just an Amateur. I have several
differant examples of coin variations not listed-- most are minor and not worth much.I
missed in your post-- did you dig both coins?? if so- -quite an unusual coincidence!!
Keep posting & HH

Yes, both were dug from the "wheatfield" area of the spot I called the Iceberg. To date we (Bob, Nate Zoso and I) have pulled over 2000 wheat cents from that spot alone. We're assuming that there was some type of carnival game or such there at one time.

Re: Got out a few times this week. Once w/Zoso at the silvermine, once at the Be

Nice silver dimes and rings you got. The gold is nice. :) Tell Spencer to keep up his success in his pitching! HH both of you

Nate in Ohio said:
Nice silver dimes and rings you got. The gold is nice. :) Tell Spencer to keep up his success in his pitching! HH both of you
Thanks Nate-your Dad was talking about a Berg hunt tomorrow. Spencer and I are looking forward to it. A few new areas need to be hit hard. One is old-style pulltab infested but there's GOT to be wilver there. Wheaties were there.....
Supposed to be cooler too (high mid 60's). We'll go early and stay late! Just like the "old days".
BTW, we really really should build a portable sifter box for the older areas we have mostly cleared.

Beautiful ring, awesome finds and a great kid!!! A portable sifter would be too simple to make and transport, a very good idea. HH, Mike

I used to be a catcher in my day and I sure can feel the strain I put on my knees. Baseball is a great sport, so I wish him the best of luck. Good luck at the Berg on Saturday and find some wilver! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back