Got out a few times this week. Once w/Zoso at the silvermine, once at the Berg!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Man. I really do miss swinging the coil often, but my son's travel baseball schedule has been brutal with a ton of out of town tournaments on top of division play and scheduled league games. He's got a gun like you wouldn't believe and is sooo into the game that I don't wanna hold him back (an elite team that beat us 4-1 and went on to win a big USSSA tournament we were in, was gunning him during the game and clocked him at 76 mph. BTW...he's 13 yrs old. That's unheard of velocity for such a yound kid and their coach said he's never seen a 13 yr old over 73).
He's living with me for 6 weeks now for the summer and this week I'm off work so aside from 4 baseball games we DID get out twice to detect.
We met Zoso Monday and he took us into his hot spot (he calls the silvermine) and we basically whacked our way through insane Vietnam-like jungle growth and heat and came away with only a few wheats, old bullets shotguns shells and some other stuff. My three good finds there were an old Coke bottle, a silver earring and a nice 18K gold ring with a small emerald and some teeny diamond chips alongside it. Nice ring nonetheless. I also dug a copper pendant with an Indian etched on it.
Today Spencer and I went to the Iceberg (ignoring severe TStorm warnings) and again it was like a jungle there too and very hot. We ran out of water and cool drinks after only 3 hrs and had to leave. I wasn't really prepared for the heat and humidity today (never did storm-blew right over even though we heard a tornado siren in the distance).
Digging in this weather sucks royally! Sweat constantly in your eyes, clothes soaked, mosquitos dining on your hide....
Ended the day with a handfull of wheats (oldest 1919), two silver (36 Merc and a 47 Rosie) and some older Jeffersons. Spencer was into it for a while and probably dug more than half the wheats using his Ace250. Also got a few marbles. The ones in the pics inside the Coke bottle are from previous trips there. I dug two 1956D wheats today and the "D" is in different positions on the two coins. I went to my Redbook and saw there is a 1956D "shadow D" coin. Maybe one of them is one?? Experts wanna chime in?
Enjoy the pics and HH all!!

Just throwing this one in...Spencer's new 'do
627finds-mowhawk 003.jpg
Spencer and I after today's hunt at the Element.
627finds-mowhawk 004.jpg
Closeup of today's stuff and trash
627finds-mowhawk 006.jpg
All finds from this week
627finds-mowhawk 008.jpg
closeup of the silver and ring
627finds-mowhawk 010.jpg
closeup of the two different 1956D wheaties...see how the D on one is lower?
627finds-mowhawk 011.jpg

Upvote 0
Dan, we all missed you, dude. Spencer, it seems, has one heck of an arm. Maybe he may have a future in the Big Leagues. I look forward to hearing about your future hunts with the "Berg" gang.

KirkPA said:
Dan, we all missed you, dude. Spencer, it seems, has one heck of an arm. Maybe he may have a future in the Big Leagues. I look forward to hearing about your future hunts with the "Berg" gang.

Thanks for the kind words Kirk. I think Spencer's future in baseball is entirely up to him staying healthy and out of trouble. The trouble part shouldn't be an issue as he's a great kid with friends I don't worry about him hanging with. The head coach at the Highschool he'll attend has already made special trips to see him workout indoors, so right now they're just waiting for him to become of age for varsity ball.
As good as it feels to get out again, it sure would be incredible to find a spot (or two) that has coins of the age you guys are finding in PA. Stuff like that is few and far between around here. Keep at it.

Hi Dan

Great to see a post from you. Got to put the family first... I totally understand. Good luck to you Spencer in your travel season, have fun and stay healthy... oh yeah, duck if they throw at your head.

Dan!!! Wooowhooo on the goldie man, wtg, that and the big honkin silver ring are really nice. Congrats on those and all your nice finds, congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

Welcvome back and GREAT JOB! I like the doo

Man that is humming for that age, I would be proud of that too. Greats finds to say the least, WOW.

whitesid said:
great finds!!
what that pat. date on the coke bottle?

Hmmm...I just checked the bottle closely, and it says "Trademark registered in US Patent Office"...no date! (never seen one w/out a date)
On the bottom it says Akron Ohio and has an "S" under the Akron. In the center is an oval with a 1 in it.

Congrats on your son's baseball career. I hope to see him in the majors someday. Great pics and finds.
Dman

Danimal said:
whitesid said:
great finds!!
what that pat. date on the coke bottle?

Hmmm...I just checked the bottle closely, and it says "Trademark registered in US Patent Office"...no date! (never seen one w/out a date)
On the bottom it says Akron Ohio and has an "S" under the Akron. In the center is an oval with a 1 in it.
the ones with pat. office were made from:
6oz bottle 1951-1958
6.5 oz bottle 1958-1965

Ant said:
Man that is humming for that age, I would be proud of that too. Greats finds to say the least, WOW.

And he's only 5'7" 115lbs!...looks like the Tribe's old closer Bob Wickman when he's bringing it!
6/29 update!...Spencer got pissed off when he saw what I wrote...he corrected me...he's 137 lbs !!

Attachments

• 627finds-mowhawk 002.jpg
    627finds-mowhawk 002.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 591
Two thoughts for your son: Long toss and pullups. Both build arm strength and the pullups help recovery time between outings.

Dan,
Welcome back. Glad you and your son are able to spend quality time together like you do. Congrats to you two on the finds. I can't wait to find me another Merc. It's been too long. :'(
Time really flies. It seems like just last month I was watching you guys post with snow on the ground. I can't wait for winter. ;D
-MM-

halfdime said:
Two thoughts for your son: Long toss and pullups. Both build arm strength and the pullups help recovery time between outings.

Halfdime, he's king of longtoss and can get a frozen rope farther than I can now. Thanks for the tip on the pullups!

Danimal said:
halfdime said:

Halfdime, he's king of longtoss and can get a frozen rope farther than I can now. Thanks for the tip on the pullups!
I should clarify on the pullups: SHOULDER strength. Would tend to reduce chance of rotator cuff injury. Wish I knew these things when I was 13.

Hey Daminal,

Great to see a post from you. SWEET FINDS MAN! WHat a beautiful ring :o I look forward to seeing some more here real soon now!

HH
~Nash~

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the post. Nice to see you and your son doing things together. PRICELESS!!!

Good to see you got some detecting in. The ground here around Lima is hard as a rock and dry. Gary and I have been detecting in the water some. I have only found three rings so far this year in the water. Heck, I found more this spring on land!.

Thanks again for a great post.

HH, Ringfinder

ringfinder said:
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the post. Nice to see you and your son doing things together. PRICELESS!!!

Good to see you got some detecting in. The ground here around Lima is hard as a rock and dry. Gary and I have been detecting in the water some. I have only found three rings so far this year in the water. Heck, I found more this spring on land!.

HH, Ringfinder

I'm telling ya Denny....I'd love to come up your way when things cool down and hunt with you and Gary!
I'll buy dinner!

I hear you about the heat. I'm thinking about a water machine..... ::)

Danimal said:
ringfinder said:
Hi Dan,

HH, Ringfinder

I'm telling ya Denny....I'd love to come up your way when things cool down and hunt with you and Gary!
I'll buy dinner!

I hear you about the heat. I'm thinking about a water machine..... ::)

NO, NO, Gary and I want to come up your way and hunt the Birg with you, Nate and Mirage, we'll buy the Dinner. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back