Got Kicked Out of Wickham Park Today!! Comments? Feedback?

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special Edition
Well, Today, I was told i could NOT metal detect in Wickham park anymore because the "new" Park Supervisor Jeff Whitehead has Decided that he did not want people Metal detecting anymore at Wickham park.. and all i can say is... This is just a bunch of Bull! I told the park ranger that there was no sign up, and he said he knew. And when i thought about it, There probably isnt a sign because even tho it is allowed in county parks, They CAN'T put a sign up, because it is only at his (Jeff Whitehead's) descretion! So because it is not a rule, thats probably why they can not put a sign up... The ranger also said i am the 4th person he had to stop today alone!! What the hell?

There has got to be something we can do about this, and i would really like some feedback on this as far as what can be done about this! I would appreciate any and all comments!

The best park is, I cover all holes, Throw away all Trash, and my wife walks around with me picking up EVERY piece of trash she comes across. So in a way, we are making the park cleaner and safer, For Free! Something has to be done about this.

Anthony

Attachments

• P10-01-11_18.34.jpg
    P10-01-11_18.34.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 502
  • P10-01-11_18.37.jpg
    P10-01-11_18.37.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,212
  • P10-01-11_18.39.jpg
    P10-01-11_18.39.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 430
I say take all of the trash to His Office!!! Especially if you save it for Scrap Metal And Drop It On His Desk And Ask Him If he Can Properly Dispose Of all Of the Trash You Have Removed From His Park!!!! I had Problem At My gold Park One Time with a Stupervisor (Yes it Spelled Correctly)
Until I showed Him All Of the Fish hooks the Some Idiot Threw Into the Tot lot ( kids play area ) added the For Whitehead I used to work For A WhiteHead Supervisor At A large electronics Company HP ??? NO COMMENT Trent oops Chug Print this and Take it to His Office along with the Trash!!!

Wickham Park has cracked down on a lot of things. We are constantly being called out to deal with issues in the area. I was unaware of the new no-detecting rule there but I can't imagine you'd find too much unless it was after some of the larger venues they hold. That being said, if you're ever interested in doing some detecting in other areas around Melbourne, let me know. I can usually be found on the beaches up around Patrick and some of the other busy beaches in the area.

Being a City Manager I can tell you that no park supervisor can enforce a regulation unless there has been an Ordinance passed by the county. If you are stopped again, ask the individual to cite or show the Ordinance prohibiting metal detecting. After that call a county board member and ask them not to pass an Ordinance to prohibit detecting.

Found your problem... Detecting is not a violation of any rules for the park. You would, however, be in violation of an ordinance if you attempted to dig up your hit.

City of Melbourne Ordinance Section 18-24 (covers Recreational facilities and parks)

subsection (c) states..

No person in a recreational facility or park shall dig, disturb, damage, cut, carve or remove any soil, rock, stone, tree, shrub, plant or plant material.

So, while it is a rather trivial matter and you're actually doing a service by removing trash etc... it is still a misdemeanor level offense to dig a hole in the park.

Sorry. :dontknow:

That is basically the same crap the state uses to stop people from digging in their "submerged bottom lands."

You can detect all you want in the water....just don't try to dig anything up. That includes even 'hand fanning.' You actually need a dredge and fill permit to do that!

Stupid laws don't stop people, it just turns them into criminals.

ps. Armydiver...are you a LEO now?

saltydog1733 said:
ps. Armydiver...are you a LEO now?

SaltyDog,
I am indeed. Kind of kills the time for any MDing in the area but I get out every now and then. It's actually not too bad. Since I work nights, I'm used to being awake and can hit the beaches whenever... just a bit cold.

just go back at night when he goes home

There's a park ranger at Wickham 24 hrs a day. Entering the park after dark is definitely not a good idea. If you don't get hassled by the ranger, you will by the PD. If not me, you'll probably get hassled (at the very least) by some of the resident bums in the area.

It's not worth it. Go to the beaches. It's another 10 minutes east and you won't have to worry about being trespassed from the park.

i live in rockledge and im looking for someone to go metal detecting with.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back