CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_4763.jpeg
    IMG_4763.jpeg
    530.2 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 10
So a knife would have been hafted and a blade just held in the hand?
Blade has turned into kind of a generic term.

According to an archaeological glossary.

BLADE:

l. the cutting edge of a tool.

2. a cutting tool.

3. that portion of a projectile point or knife which extends beyond the haft element.

4. a long, parallel-sided (prismatic, lamellar) flake core. These may be used as is, or
used as the basis for the production of other tools. This highly sophisticated
technique makes the most economical use of lithic resources.

I meant the blades you posted, where were they found. And just for clarification, the axe was given to me by a friend who said they unearthed themselves on a property he owned.
Yes I’ve found the ones posted I’ve been collecting for 15 years. Slowed down due to the heat but hopefully this winter I will get back out.
Middle quartz is 4 inches long

Attachments

• IMG_4671.jpeg
    IMG_4671.jpeg
    1,019 KB · Views: 15
A blade can be halfted or unhafted. They're generally larger than the average point. Many times without notches or defined bases. Weight is not an issue on a blade and so generally They are thicker and heavier than a point because they don't have to worry about the weight being a factor in flight. Many points that people find that they think are large spearheads are actually probably hafted blades. They may be biface or uniface and are generally more utilitarian than a defined point. At times they are nothing more than a flake with a good shape that has a sharpened edge for quick use.

Last edited:
A blade can be halfted or unhafted. They're generally larger than the average point. Many times without notches or defined bases. Weight is not an issue on a blade and so generally They are thicker and heavier than a point because they don't have to worry about the weight being a factor in flight. Many points that people find that they think are large spearheads are actually probably hafted blades. They may be biface or uniface and are generally more utilitarian than a defined point. At times they are nothing more than a flake with a good shape that has a sharpened edge for quick use.
Thanks, I was thinking along those lines. Like these:

Attachments

• IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    559.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 13

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back