Goldrush out west!

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Sorry folks not California but Lancashire in north west England.
So after having found a Victoria 1863 Gold sovereign on a Thursday afternoon at the beginning of this month, and then again on that Sunday with an 1821 sovereign some 12 miles and on another permission, I've been suffering a bit of a bad back and haven't been out over past couple of weeks.
Yesterday afternoon, feeling bored and a little more agile I decided to hit a local permission ive not been back to now for a couple of years. Not much was coming up in the open fields and so I headed to a gnarly area with a stream running through. I'd found a few 18th and 19th century coins there last time so headed back to see if I could Hoover any more up.
Straight away o started finding Victorian coppers and then up came a silver 1920 shilling.
I was then trolled by an alloy button that for a fraction of a second looked like a gold coin.
I was still shaking my head and chuckling to myself about fools gold, flipped up a clod of earth not anticipating anything and....Well.....BOOM.
There she was, sat there all shining and golden. An 1893 half sovereign (4 grams 22 carat.) There really is no doubting gold.

Three gold coins from three outings at three separate locations all in the space of three weeks.
someone up there is pulling some strings for me right now. Can't believe my good fortune.
Maybe i need to stop working and take up my hobby as a full time job 😆

Attachments

• IMG-20240817-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240817-WA0004.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG-20240817-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240817-WA0003.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 31
Wow that fire is still burning!
What a roll you're on...the gold just keeps getting under your coil
Well done!
My reaction to this wpuld have probably seemed a bit odd to a bystander. Rather than a big whopee I kind of stood shaking my head in disbelief for a while and kept saying "No f---in way" before eventually doing a little gold dance and then carrying on detecting as if nothing had just happened . 😂

My reaction to this wpuld have probably seemed a bit odd to a bystander. Rather than a big whopee I kind of stood shaking my head in disbelief for a while and kept saying "No f---in way" before eventually doing a little gold dance and then carrying on detecting as if nothing had just happened . 😂
Isnt that always the way.....as soon as you find something really good it promptly goes away in your pouch and then you move on to the next signal(even if its trash) as if nothing has happened...the thrill of the hunt outweighs the thrill of the find

Beautiful coin! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.
1 of the coins i get to keep but the other two will be sold and halved with the landowners. The one I keep is the 1821 as it's a very affluent family friend, the other two are just farming folk both with young families and will be glad of a bit of extra cash.
For me personally, and don't get me wrong it is indeed a great feeling finding gold of any kind, but I actually get more of a thrill finding a Roman denarius than a 19th century sovereign. And indeed my personal favourite of all my finds is not gold or silver but bronze. A 4000 year old axe head that takes pride of place in my collection cabinet.

Any money I make from the two golds will just go straight back into this hobby with some kind of upgrades and maybe a new pair of boots so that I can go rescue more history from the soil

Sorry folks not California but Lancashire in north west England.
So after having found a Victoria 1863 Gold sovereign on a Thursday afternoon at the beginning of this month, and then again on that Sunday with an 1821 sovereign some 12 miles and on another permission, I've been suffering a bit of a bad back and haven't been out over past couple of weeks.
Yesterday afternoon, feeling bored and a little more agile I decided to hit a local permission ive not been back to now for a couple of years. Not much was coming up in the open fields and so I headed to a gnarly area with a stream running through. I'd found a few 18th and 19th century coins there last time so headed back to see if I could Hoover any more up.
Straight away o started finding Victorian coppers and then up came a silver 1920 shilling.
I was then trolled by an alloy button that for a fraction of a second looked like a gold coin.
I was still shaking my head and chuckling to myself about fools gold, flipped up a clod of earth not anticipating anything and....Well.....BOOM.
There she was, sat there all shining and golden. An 1893 half sovereign (4 grams 22 carat.) There really is no doubting gold.

Three gold coins from three outings at three separate locations all in the space of three weeks.
someone up there is pulling some strings for me right now. Can't believe my good fortune.
Maybe i need to stop working and take up my hobby as a full time job 😆
Awesome!!! Sweet Yellow Nectar!!! Congrats!!!

1 of the coins i get to keep but the other two will be sold and halved with the landowners. The one I keep is the 1821 as it's a very affluent family friend, the other two are just farming folk both with young families and will be glad of a bit of extra cash.
For me personally, and don't get me wrong it is indeed a great feeling finding gold of any kind, but I actually get more of a thrill finding a Roman denarius than a 19th century sovereign. And indeed my personal favourite of all my finds is not gold or silver but bronze. A 4000 year old axe head that takes pride of place in my collection cabinet.

Any money I make from the two golds will just go straight back into this hobby with some kind of upgrades and maybe a new pair of boots so that I can go rescue more history from the soil
Actually would the 2 see much upside over the gold value?

I gave the farmers 1/2 of the gold value, and they were very pleased.

Then again I rather have than had.
I look at the pictures and it brings back a memory.
Looking and holding them brings back the feelings as well.

Best of luck on the sales.

Actually would the 2 see much upside over the gold value?

I gave the farmers 1/2 of the gold value, and they were very pleased.

Then again I rather have than had.
I look at the pictures and it brings back a memory.
Looking and holding them brings back the feelings as well.

Best of luck on the sales.
Sorry you mean you gave them the bullion value from your own pocket?

Sorry you mean you gave them the bullion value from your own pocket?
My first gold was a 50BC gold Stater found in Colchester the club has contracts that state 50% gold value of the gold would be given to the landowner.
My second one was my Banner 1872 Victorian full Sovereign.
I gave the land owner 50% of the gold value to them.

My first gold was a 50BC gold Stater found in Colchester the club has contracts that state 50% gold value of the gold would be given to the landowner.
My second one was my Banner 1872 Victorian full Sovereign.
I gave the land owner 50% of the gold value to them.
That sounds like an excellent idea to be fair however I know one if the farmers has been perusing eBay and as a result seems to think we have a gold sov that will easily sell for £800. I tried to explain that he needs to look what they actually sell for rather than what people want them to sell for so hopefully he is a bit.more realistic now

The engraving of St. George slaying the dragon is one of the best coin designs ever. It was done by Italian Benedetto Pistrucci in 1817. I collect US gold only but I’m thinking of purchasing a sovereign just for that engraving. I do gun engraving and learned in Italy. It would be amazing to go back and work with Pistrucci for a week. He was an amazing talent.

That sounds like an excellent idea to be fair however I know one if the farmers has been perusing eBay and as a result seems to think we have a gold sov that will easily sell for £800. I tried to explain that he needs to look what they actually sell for rather than what people want them to sell for so hopefully he is a bit.more realistic now
So just tell the farmer to give you £400 for your half then, seems like a good way of splitting it up.

Actual gold value is £457.46 today.
The coin has lots of scratches, so it's just the gold value basically.

Some folks get gold fever, and some farmers are like if you find gold go buy a pizza.

So just tell the farmer to give you £400 for your half then, seems like a good way of splitting it up.

Actual gold value is £457.46 today.
The coin has lots of scratches, so it's just the gold value basically.

Some folks get gold fever, and some farmers are like if you find gold go buy a pizza.
So you recommend I just flog the two Vickys for bullion?
I'll keep that George IV as it really is, well a keeper in my book. Thanks for your help here.

So are you going to find number 4 next week then? You are certainly on a roll. Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back