kiknwayne

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
nor cal
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i need help identifying this buckle. I picked it up today and not sure what it is.

buckle1.jpg

yes,need more pics and details.....it looks like a repro to me.They were military issue(many variants)

Upvote 0
Look up "Indian Wars US Army Officer's Eagle Buckle" for ones that match this... I don't know if it is a repro or not though. I am assuming when you say "picked it up today" you bought it non-dug?

Upvote 0
Hut...are you serious that you think that this could be anything other than "Non-dug"?

OK Kerksis states on page 230 Militia,Ca 1850(Gold Rush era)weight is 1 oz(weigh yours)and the hook attachement is different on your piece....which further confirms my suspicions of your piece' authenticity

Upvote 0
Hut...are you serious that you think that this could be anything other than "Non-dug"?

OK Kerksis states on page 230 Militia,Ca 1850(Gold Rush era)weight is 1 oz(weigh yours)and the hook attachement is different on your piece....which further confirms my suspicions of your piece' authenticity

It would not surprise me if this poster said he "dug" it (no offense attended).. I see that a-lot with pieces that are "non-dug" and the person will say "they dug it" just wanted to clarify..

Upvote 0
In a buckle book I have it say's These are the Army Officers - 1874 Pattern - 1920...
...that may be right...there are a great many variants and I dont have he time right now to further investigate...I shouldnt have posted,until I could give hard core fact

I will say I,have not ever seen one dug in a Gold Rush Period site

Upvote 0
...that may be right...there are a great many variants and I dont have he time right now to further investigate...I shouldnt have posted,until I could give hard core fact

I will say I,have not ever seen one dug in a Gold Rush Period site

Check page 543 in O'Donnell's book when you get a chance. I don't know what to say about the back of the buckle though if things match up 100% or not...

Upvote 0

Especially that good looking....this looks like a reproduction, no offence intended.

SS

Upvote 0
Here are the ones from Kerksis and O'Donnell's book

Attachments

• P9200014.JPG
    P9200014.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 101
  • P9200015.JPG
    P9200015.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
The back doesn't look right. The tongue or bar on the back is too narrow. I'm not sure they made one that narrow, but maybe someone else can help.

Upvote 0
I mean this is IMO but I think the buckle is got some age to it at least good enough for it to be the 1874-1920s version, probably more into the 1900s (the tongue and bar just keep playing with me on yours though but i am assuming there were a couple manufactures who produced these in the 1900s??).. i have seen quite a few non dug Civil War buckles that look like they wouldn't be but 40 years old - from good proper care and storage over the years they look excellent and would fool lot of people and scare lot of buyers off thinking it was a repro. I hope you didn't pay wayyy to much for it but it is a neat buckle and hope you enjoy it.. I can't say repro or not, perhaps someone who is more into the 1900s version of this can chime in...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back