Gold Panning question from a noob

Myk

Greenie
Jun 1, 2024
Hey all,

I have a question about test panning for gold. I found a spot I kinda like in ParkCo, CO. I've sunk a few pans in and pulled out some dirt and did the whole shaking thing down to the blonds. For now, I'm not good enough to get past the blonds but that's not my question.

So I keep seeing anywhere between flakes to flour on the tailing edge of the dirt in my pan. I had to do a screen cap from a youtube vid to make my point. The red line I drew over the pic is where I'm seeing most of the colors at. There are some down in the corner but most seem to be hugging that trailing edge.

1717231709422.png

Is that a water tension thing. Or a pyrite thing. Or just a way the gold sits thing?

I can get a better pic of my point next time I'm down to the prospect.

Thanks,
Myk

Upvote 0
Myk, your gold should be buried in the bottom/deepest edge of the pan under that other material. I believe what you are seeing floating around at the back of the pan is likely mica.

Of course you can get past the blonds...do your panning in a tub, as that way you can't lose anything. Just work that material down, tipping back and forth, give it a good shake to resettle that gold in the bottom and continue just washing off that top layer of blondes. You can also find a load of how-to-pan video's on Youtube.

The image you posted is very small...can't tell much from it.

Hey all,

I have a question about test panning for gold. I found a spot I kinda like in ParkCo, CO. I've sunk a few pans in and pulled out some dirt and did the whole shaking thing down to the blonds. For now, I'm not good enough to get past the blonds but that's not my question.

So I keep seeing anywhere between flakes to flour on the tailing edge of the dirt in my pan. I had to do a screen cap from a youtube vid to make my point. The red line I drew over the pic is where I'm seeing most of the colors at. There are some down in the corner but most seem to be hugging that trailing edge.

View attachment 2151998

Is that a water tension thing. Or a pyrite thing. Or just a way the gold sits thing?

I can get a better pic of my point next time I'm down to the prospect.

Thanks,
Myk
Take a regular kitchen table and eating spoons and scoop off the top 1/4" - 3/8" then shake and see what you have down at the bottom when you tilt the pan.

Reactions: Myk
Myk, your gold should be buried in the bottom/deepest edge of the pan under that other material. I believe what you are seeing floating around at the back of the pan is likely mica.

Of course you can get past the blonds...do your panning in a tub, as that way you can't lose anything. Just work that material down, tipping back and forth, give it a good shake to resettle that gold in the bottom and continue just washing off that top layer of blondes. You can also find a load of how-to-pan video's on Youtube.

The image you posted is very small...can't tell much from it.

Cool thanks! I just need a lot more practice. I'm about to head out now to one of my prospects down in Pike NF. :)

Take a regular kitchen table and eating spoons and scoop off the top 1/4" - 3/8" then shake and see what you have down at the bottom when you tilt the pan.

I have my camp table and a food box food of spoons. I'll defo give that a try. I'm about to head out now to one of the prospects. SO glad the weather finally broke. Now, just wish ALL the snow would go away!!!

Hey Myk, how'd that trip go for you?

That could be gold sitting at the back of you pan with the black sands. I tend to get a build up of black sands in the corners, and sometimes even a little gold with it. Any time I see it, I know I need to shake it (stratify it) better to try and get that to settle down lower in the pan.
I agree with Dizzy, there are guys on youtube that talk about that happening to them, and what their methods are to deal with it.
Good luck!

I have a firm belief that the biggest nugget that'll ever be found in Colorado lies in Park County. Down side of that is no one is ever gonna find it because they went and built the outskirts of Breckenridge on top of it and now it sits under a modern concrete roadway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back