Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always trying to think outside the box of where treasure might be found. When I first started detecting I found a silver Rosie in the forest and realized I was searching in the middle of an old circle of stones-a campfire ring.
Ever since then, it's been one of the things I look for. I have done well finding coins around the campfire rings, even though the globs of melted aluminum are a real pain in the butt, but only that one dime inside the ring. Until yesterday that is!
Tests as 14k and comes in at 10.7g
Gold glob 17Dec23.jpeg
Gold glob 2.jpeg

Upvote 32
Looks a lot like a potato gold button. Now if you find anymore in campfire rings, I'm gonna start thinking you're on to something. I've seen countless fire rings along the upper Arkansas River looking for stone artifacts in Chaffee County Colorado. Some looked as if they've been there for decades. You could wash fine gold all up and down that part of the Arkansas.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I'm always trying to think outside the box of where treasure might be found. When I first started detecting I found a silver Rosie in the forest and realized I was searching in the middle of an old circle of stones-a campfire ring.
Ever since then, it's been one of the things I look for. I have done well finding coins around the campfire rings, even though the globs of melted aluminum are a real pain in the butt, but only that one dime inside the ring. Until yesterday that is!
View attachment 2120971View attachment 2120972
Very Nice!!! Sweet Yellow Nectar!!! Congrats!!!

Very Nice!!! Sweet Yellow Nectar!!! Congrats!

View attachment 2120971View attachment 2120972
I discovered an incredibly pleasant vintage opium box in Australia during the 90s Metal detecting out there in the great Sandy dessert, tucked away where their campfire used to be. It was an ingenious hiding spot back then, ensuring their stash remained secure from potential thieves.

It looks like a smelted button....fine gold was often meted daily into a small gold disc/button....maybe someone lost there button while drinking around the fire ?

It looks like a smelted button....fine gold was often meted daily into a small gold disc/button....maybe someone lost there button while drinking around the fire ?
Except that it tests 14k and less than 16k. Seems like it would have to be melted jewelry.

Except that it tests 14k and less than 16k. Seems like it would have to be melted jewelry.
Yeah I thought that. Generally native gold is a higher karet or so that's what the gold buyer I deal with says. Are there any gold bearing streams near where you found it?

Yeah I thought that. Generally native gold is a higher karet or so that's what the gold buyer I deal with says. Are there any gold bearing streams near where you found it?
Nope, just sandy desert.

>
looks a lot like a potato gold button.

I was thinking the same thing. Except the buttons that I've made from amalgam were spongy and dull yellow.

Thar's GOLD in them thar campfires!!!
Man, what a cool and unusual find.
Thanks for the great post,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back