Gold in your backyard

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

I've been working on a mining project since my discovery in summer of 2022. It was somewhat a matter of luck, and the fact that I live in a former gold producing district. As I was detecting in my backyard and found a target that was worth digging. I tried to dig with a shovel, then decided to get my pick' from my shed. As I broke into the ground in late August I ended up with a old beer can and around it a bunch of what looked like nuggets. Really tempting to just burry back in the ground.....

So from here on I've been on a mission to approach gold mining in a different fashion. I collected up all I could from this hole and placed them into Ball Jars. Eventually I moved onto a different patch in my backyard which by myself I managed to recover probably about 1 or 2 tons from. I have a lot less now due to space. This was summer of 2023, so the photos you seeing are what one-year of dry washing will do to "gold".

Hope you all found this interesting. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help with something or are curious about my techniques as there are more that go into the recovery it then just digging.

Happy Hunting & Stay Safe!

Attachments

• P_20240615_205031.jpg
    P_20240615_205031.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P_20240615_205039.jpg
    P_20240615_205039.jpg
    903.5 KB · Views: 141
  • P_20240615_205046.jpg
    P_20240615_205046.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 2
Howdy!

I've been working on a mining project since my discovery in summer of 2022. It was somewhat a matter of luck, and the fact that I live in a former gold producing district. As I was detecting in my backyard and found a target that was worth digging. I tried to dig with a shovel, then decided to get my pick' from my shed. As I broke into the ground in late August I ended up with a old beer can and around it a bunch of what looked like nuggets. Really tempting to just burry back in the ground.....

So from here on I've been on a mission to approach gold mining in a different fashion. I collected up all I could from this hole and placed them into Ball Jars. Eventually I moved onto a different patch in my backyard which by myself I managed to recover probably about 1 or 2 tons from. I have a lot less now due to space. This was summer of 2023, so the photos you seeing are what one-year of dry washing will do to "gold".

Hope you all found this interesting. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help with something or are curious about my techniques as there are more that go into the recovery it then just digging.

Are you saying you have been crushing these rocks and recovering gold. Any pictures you care to share of your recovered gold?

Can't you see the attached photos?

Howdy!

1 year of dry washing in your backyard and you have ended up with a large pile of rocks. Pretty typical. Did you happen to find any gold?

A 5 G Bucket Weighs 50 LBs & I estimate they will be 150 LBs when pure gold/silver. So basically a triple in weight from out of the ground. Again, this is an estimate. I have to see how things pan out

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of the gold you found?
In my opinion, being in a gold producing district like where I am and recovering these nuggets from the ground makes them gold, not clay or dirt or soil.

The shine will come in time with the dry washing and I'm already starting to see that after less then almost a year, I am betting on it.

A 5 G Bucket Weighs 50 LBs & I estimate they will be 150 LBs when pure gold/silver. So basically a triple in weight from out of the ground. Again, this is an estimate. I have to see how things pan out
Google is your friend......gold by volume is about 1,188 pounds per cubic foot. 5 gallons is 0.67 cubic ft. So 1188x0.67 is about 796 pounds.

Google is your friend......gold by volume is about 1,188 pounds per cubic foot. 5 gallons is 0.67 cubic ft. So 1188x0.67 is about 796 pounds.
Yes this is very true and I have run the numbers myself already.

What you failed to factor in is that the bucket of nugget has spaces in between. When melted to a solid it would be the size of a gallon of milk, which is about 159.2 LBs of gold.

Which is why they say you can fill 2 olympic size swimming pools with all the gold in the world ever mined...

Perhaps there are photos of mineral ore rock in that area to help determine what other minerals are in that given area rock?

796 pounds may be mostly other minerals?

In my opinion, being in a gold producing district like where I am and recovering these nuggets from the ground makes them gold, not clay or dirt or soil.

The shine will come in time with the dry washing and I'm already starting to see that after less then almost a year, I am betting on it.
Why not show a photo of a couple of them scrubbed with hot water and soap?

Otherwise it seems your just playing with us and that doesn’t fall in line with your previous posts, which seem to be centered on contributing and thanking others that contribute?!

Why not show a photo of a couple of them scrubbed with hot water and soap?

Otherwise it seems your just playing with us and that doesn’t fall in line with your previous posts, which seem to be centered on contributing and thanking others that contribute?!
I'm not playing with you just continuing to share what I think about my discovery so others may join in. Scrubbing them would defeat the purpose of dry washing them. If they turn to gold, then I can clean some of them 8-)

Ok I'm curious. What information are you putting together that brings you to the conclusion that these are gold or silver nuggets? I see you said you were in a gold producing area.... is there anything else you're going off of?

And your method of dry washing.... is that just leaving them in the jar? How long do you expect this to take? 5 years? 50?

Your first post on this story, you explain that the ONLY thing your metal detector was getting a signal on was an old beer can. Beer cans are made out of metal and that is why the machine sounded off.
Gold nuggets are made of metal as well and your metal detector would have sounded off on these "nuggets" if they were actually metal.
No amount of wet or dry washing will change this fact.
They're just rocks.

Your first post on this story, you explain that the ONLY thing your metal detector was getting a signal on was an old beer can. Beer cans are made out of metal and that is why the machine sounded off.
Gold nuggets are made of metal as well and your metal detector would have sounded off on these "nuggets" if they were actually metal.
No amount of wet or dry washing will change this fact.
They're just rocks.
I disagree that they won't change & my Gold Bug Pro at 50% Threshold will sound on them already...

Ok I'm curious. What information are you putting together that brings you to the conclusion that these are gold or silver nuggets? I see you said you were in a gold producing area.... is there anything else you're going off of?

And your method of dry washing.... is that just leaving them in the jar? How long do you expect this to take? 5 years? 50?
I'm basing my conclusion off several factors such as the; weight, shape, texture & color. Also as I mentioned to xr7ator, my Gold Bug will sound off on these now at a 50% threshold.

The content of Silver in gold nuggets is always approximatley 4 - 15 % and there is very proportional visible silver in these as I recover them from my mine which leads me to believe the rest mineral is gold that hasn't fully formed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back