Gold in Sand and Gravel pits

GoldReport

Oct 6, 2024
Hi everyone!
IMG_2340.jpg

Novice prospector here. I work for an aggregates mining company and have talked with the company geologist about gold in our s&g deposits. At my last site visits in Southern NY + NW PA I took my gold pan. I grabbed about a gallon of material from the sand screws and panned them. I would have done more material but was time limited. I did indeed find some glacial gold, really small stuff. What I am having a tough time figuring out is what processing this would look like. In my head I would set up a sluice box where the chute that feeds the sand screw is located. It would need to be something as low cost as possible and would not need to be cleaned out very often. Anyone have any pics of their setup they would be willing to share?

Still trying to determine the concentration in these deposits. If they could recover at least 0.01g per ton of sand, I think it could be profitable as an additional revenue stream.

Upvote 4
Do you know what their setup looks like? Curious what people use... is it just a couple of parallel sluice boxes in between the wash screen and sand plant?

I was meaning to run my material last night but my pump decided it wanted to die. What I get for buying a 15 dollar bilge on Amazon. The main reason for using my homemade sluice at all is just to test out its functionality. I'll definitely save all the material and pan out material one bucket at a time if I don't feel like the sluice is catching all the cons.
No one gets to see it I heard about it from an ex worker who runs a concrete plant now. I am sure they just run it all down some sluices. That is what everyone upstream does. High bankers.

Fine could be good though in a large source like a gravel pit.
Probably not so good for a recreational miner but sometimes is ok for a commercial venture.
They actually named a cove in the lake, fine gold cove I think it is directly across from the old submerged fine gold, gold mine and just up the road is the town of Coarsegold so that tells you what kind of gold you get up there. LOL On the river I always just get fine no matter which spots I go to. But gold is gold just need to keep your eyes open for rattlesnakes I almost stepped on a coiled 6 footer while not paying attention luckily his head was under the rock and he didn't sense me.

Years back the GPAA had a video for sale of "Ralph " talking about his finds and there was a sand & gravel plant in the back ground of the show and it was "'apparent " and hinted that this was where he had gone to get his material from. I have that video somewhere . that video was my hint to do just what Ralph was showing . It's just sitting there waiting on us !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back