Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2015
Massachuessets
Detector(s) used
Discovery
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello there!

These are my grandpas coins. Any chance anyone knows what there worth? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406163.202658.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406226.659457.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406279.294313.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406402.040136.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406415.957841.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406437.343826.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406462.679163.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451406517.866697.jpg

Condition is everything when valuing gold coins. I could not begin to value these coins based solely on the images. They (the images) lack detail and are slightly blurred. I can say that most appear to be very fine or better, but since the images are, in my opinion, poor quality, I can not be firm on any estimate of quality.

I am speechless. I agree with Don. Once you have found a ballpark grade, check EBay for what they are selling for. I just cannot believe your grandpa was able to acquire so many gold

With all due respect to the members above that are trying to help you, here is what I suggest.

Find a respectable coin dealer in Boston (or another city that is not your own), and pay him for an appraisal. Don't be foolish. You have shown photos of coins worth many thousands of dollars. Trying to get an idea of their worth online is like using Web MD to decide your kidneys are failing. Best of luck to you, and I could use a new wetsuit when you cash out!

If I owed these coins I would first follow the course I outlined above. I would then submit them to a national grading company, like PCGS, and get them authenticated, graded and slabbed. With all respect to Terry, I don't believe a Boston coin dealer's appraisal would carry anywhere near the weight as PCGS or a comparable national grading company.
If 'grandpa' is still alive, you might ask him how he collected them. Did he go to a bank and buy them, or acquire them through retail transactions, or through a coin dealer; or ??? I'll go way out on a limb and assume he didn't dig them up with a MD.
Don........

Yes my grandfather is healthy. His mother was a collector so he got them from him

The 1881 & 1900 $5 pieces look to be in very nice uncirculated condition. Those might be worth sending to a grading service as the values can vary a lot depending on the specific grade assigned. The 1861 could be the most valuable of the bunch depending on if there is a mint mark on the reverse. If it's a D mint mark you could be looking at a starting price of $10,000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back