Gold and silver flakes

ktsbwb

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would anyone know what the gold and silver flakes my boyfriend and I found are? We were out mining when I noticed a few of them on top of the ground. I then noticed that there was a chunk barely showing above the surface of the ground. We started digging and found that there was a pocket of them. held together by a light gold to brown rough substance that doesnt wash away.We dug about two feet and still havent reached the end of them. They are shiny and have been soaking in muratic acid for a week with no reaction to the acid. They dont burn with map gas, and I held the flame on them for over 30 minutes. Is there a way to post a pic? I would appreciated any opinions!

Upvote 0
Some of them look like stacks of flakes, others like a crysatline blob.

Oh yes, and we found them at a gold mine.

One thing I forgot to mention is that they are not attracted to a magnet at all.

I would say that bigscott is correct. Mica can have a gold or silver shine depending on the angle. Easy way to tell is to put them in a pan with other material. If after panning them out you notice them all congregated at the very bottom, under the black sand, you might be looking at gold. I tend to find a lot of mica. Can make your blood pump at a certain angle. It will pan out with the other material though, it is very light. Gold will find the absolute bottom of everything.

Thanks for your replies! Does anyone know who does small scale processing in the .ca. mojave desert?

Flakes and crystals are a tale tell sign of fools gold or mica mineral... take a hammer to it. CRUSH EM! IF IT TURNS TO POWDER THEN ITS NOT GOLD. Gold will hang with blacksand lead and iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back