Goblet or chalice

BountyHuntr

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Anyone know what this is or its origins? It appears to be cast iron and has remnants of gold in the crevices. The base unscrews and has a rudimentary thread. There are no discernible casting or makers marks that I can find. Found in the surf sand on the Oregon coast many years ago as told to my mother by my grandmother. My mother inherited this in the estate and promptly asked me to dispose of this "demonic" ritual item as she called it.
2012-04-23 17.59.15.jpg2012-04-23 17.59.26.jpg

Last edited:
I think what you have it a "garden variety" (pun intended) goblet. Specifically, what is called a "garden goblet". Its a little hard to tell with the pictures you have posted. I cannot find one like yours, but, if you could figure out what the pictures are that are on it, and how tall, might be able to get it narrowed down.

Mrs.O

Upvote 0
From what I can see, the images look to be a depiction of Hell with serpents and devilish creatures partying it up. Its in great shape for it to be found along the coast which leads me to believe its not that old and might have been used for some sort of satanic ritual. I'm kind of with your mother on this but looks cool enough to keep till you find out for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
not an id but an observation.as recently as 150 years ago simple posession of such an item could cause you big trouble or even death.Also if an iron item spent any real time in salt water it would show considerable corrosion.I have to conclude it is a novelty piece but would have no way to know for sure.
A trip to an antique curio shop might be in order for a better idea.

Upvote 0
Could we see a picture including the base? I keep finding candle holders in my searches, and want to rule that out.

Upvote 0
I agree with 'bigfoot1' to the extent that if it were 'from the sea', and composed of iron, it would appear abraded by sand and in some phase of deterioration causing rust. Perhaps, at the time it was found, it was a result of having recently been tossed into the sea--as in the final gesture of a 'toast'.
Don.,

Upvote 0
Could we see a picture including the base? I keep finding candle holders in my searches, and want to rule that out.
This is a pic including the base. The pic is blurry so I didn't include it...the "thing" is locked in my safe and only my wife knows the combo...don't ask...lol I will ask her to open the safe and I will get a better set of pictures.
Its about 6" tall and about 3" at the top of the cup.
2012-04-23 17.59.46.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with 'bigfoot1' to the extent that if it were 'from the sea', and composed of iron, it would appear abraded by sand and in some phase of deterioration causing rust. Perhaps, at the time it was found, it was a result of having recently been tossed into the sea--as in the final gesture of a 'toast'.
Don.,
You may have a point. Just as my mother wanted me to take a torch to this thing and destroy it, but I didn't have the heart to destroy such an interesting piece. I took more pictures although the light was not on my side.
2014-05-29 13.13.18.jpg2014-05-29 13.16.04.jpg2014-05-29 13.16.24.jpg2014-05-29 13.16.41.jpg2014-05-29 13.17.17.jpg2014-05-29 13.17.32.jpg2014-05-29 13.18.08.jpg2014-05-29 13.18.20.jpg

Upvote 0
I agree with Momma. Whether it is a garden goblet or a candle holder, it looks waaaay too demonic for me to keep.

I think it has some age on it, and it doesn't look like a reproduction, but I don't think it was on the beach very long before it was found.

Photo tip: Whenever you are photographing a dark colored object, it will produce a better pic if you use a medium green or medium blue colored background.

Creepy find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
I agree with Momma. Whether it is a garden goblet or a candle holder, it looks waaaay too demonic for me to keep.

I think it has some age on it, and it doesn't look like a reproduction, but I don't think it was on the beach very long before it was found.

Photo tip: Whenever you are photographing a dark colored object, it will produce a better pic if you use a medium green or medium blue colored background.

Creepy find :)
Breezie
Should I have this thing photographed by a professional in a light tent? The blackness of this item is very hard to over come and capture with the cameras I own. I have taken this cup to antique appraisers over the years with no luck other than all have said its old, was once covered in gold and all offered to buy it. The orange colored areas in the pics are indeed the remnants of gold. I displayed this on my mantle for years and everyone, I mean everyone just had to pick it up and look at it. The conversations this item generates have all lead to the same place as you might imagine...my mother still insists to this day I destroy it with a torch and send it back to where it came from. I however don't have the heart to destroy it.

Upvote 0
Is it gold paint, gold plate, or gilt?

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Is it gold paint, gold plate, or gilt?

:)
Breezie

After researching antique gilt cast iron, comparing it to a cast iron gilt candlestick holder I also own, which is about in the same condition, I have come to a conclusion. I would have to say its gilt based on the color and the varying thickness when viewing the gold under a jewelers loop. I don't believe its gold plate because there's no edges where rust has occurred to leave an undercut to the gold.

Upvote 0
Should I have this thing photographed by a professional in a light tent? The blackness of this item is very hard to over come and capture with the cameras I own. I have taken this cup to antique appraisers over the years with no luck other than all have said its old, was once covered in gold and all offered to buy it. The orange colored areas in the pics are indeed the remnants of gold. I displayed this on my mantle for years and everyone, I mean everyone just had to pick it up and look at it. The conversations this item generates have all lead to the same place as you might imagine...my mother still insists to this day I destroy it with a torch and send it back to where it came from. I however don't have the heart to destroy it.

If you do not have a light tent sometimes you can capture things with a flash shooting in compete darkness. I would shoot it in succession and rotate it so each figure ties to the last. I think it is a knock of of something Like Dante or maybe the land of Nod. What is interesting to me is the fish depicted at the bottom, which might be the the first part of the journey across the river stix. All speculation and probably a well made cult type item. Conversation piece for sure. Might be big bucks on E-Bay.

Upvote 0
Here's a thought. Maybe be silly or out in left field, but as far as trying to figure out what it is and maybe who made it, why not look on the History Channel website. There was a show about creepy collectors- who had a shop- maybe in New York, maybe in San Francisco. The shop owners had a crazy collection of all sorts of wack-a-do stuff. It's a long shot, but... good luck. It really is an interesting piece- and someone spent a lot of time on it. And I'm trying to imagine it all gold. Seems like maybe it was part of a set, perhaps? Maybe a set depicting all the levels of Inferno, as was suggested earlier. Yakker

Upvote 0
I will be adding new pictures next week. A neighbor works for a movie studio and is going to try and make a 360 degree picture to lay flat and unfold the story so to speak. At the very least I will have a set of high res close-up photos with correct lighting to make the details pop.

Upvote 0
wonder if it is a reproduction of an (unknown at this time) artifact, do a google img search
for Gloucester Candlestick England, early 12th century, to see some close up imgs, here is
info about mid pg on the candlestick, maybe send them an img of your chalice
Sculpture, Metalwork, Ceramics & Glass Department - Victoria and Albert Museum

I have searched for information on this piece for the last 10 years with no results. I do not believe it's a candle stick holder nor a reproduction of anything known. I do believe its a one of a kind item and created for the sole purpose of satanic ritual. I think it could have been created in a time where the mere possession of such an object would have meant certain death. The closest images I have discovered of representations of Satan seem to come from the 15th and 16th century. Although the images are close, none is exact to the character holding the broom on the chalice which I believe to be the depiction of Satan. Also, familial depictions of odd rabbits, frogs and reptiles seem to fit the era. However, with little information and lack of expert examination, it is possible that it is modern and made to represent a long gone era in history.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back