Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend Miguel and I headed out to a mining ghost town to see what we could find. It was a really tough place to hunt for a couple of reasons. First, there were torrential rains in the past that brought massive amounts of rock and soil down the canyon and buried pretty much everything. Second, the brush was exceptionally large and thick.
We managed a few things and had a fun outing anyways.
IMG_7890.jpg

The nickel is 189X, with the last digit totally rubbed smooth.
That cartridge is a mystery. It's one-piece like a rimfire, but obviously was fired in the center. It's a little over 1/2" dia and 1-3/4" in length.
The other cartridge is a .32 short RF
The two buttons at the bottom will get the electrolysis bath treatment.
IMG_7891.jpg
IMG_7892.jpg

In this photo you can see that the bottom floor of the hotel is buried in about 4-5 feet of sediment.
IMG_7879.JPG

The old schoolhouse.
Just to the right of it is a stamp mill. One of the loudest contraptions ever.
Odd that it's right next to the schoolhouse.
IMG_7883.JPG

Another old building ruins.
IMG_7885.JPG

Upvote 10
Very neat setting. I see what you mean about it being a hard site to hunt, though. Looks dang near impossible in some places. But you got some nice bits anyway. I'm curious to see how those buttons clean up.

My friend Miguel and I headed out to a mining ghost town to see what we could find. It was a really tough place to hunt for a couple of reasons. First, there were torrential rains in the past that brought massive amounts of rock and soil down the canyon and buried pretty much everything. Second, the brush was exceptionally large and thick.
View attachment 2172831

That cartridge is a mystery. It's one-piece like a rimfire, but obviously was fired in the center. It's a little over 1/2" dia and 1-3/4" in length.
View attachment 2172832View attachment 2172833

In this photo you can see that the bottom floor of the hotel is buried in about 4-5 feet of sediment.
View attachment 2172834

The old schoolhouse.
View attachment 2172835

View attachment 2172836
It was very complicated, but that decision to move a little lower was the best. Look, I think one of the buttons you found is similar to this one.
20241006_191641.jpg
20241006_191646.jpg

Great finds, great outdoors, great pictures. Congratulations on all your finds. I love the old ghost mining towns. When I wore a younger man's clothes I used to visit the old gold ghost towns around my area. Got a lot of good photos over the years to feed the memories. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
That is a great looking site. You did well in light of the conditions. That "rimfire" was interesting to me too...never thought about if a rimfire is punched in the center if it would fire. Perhaps this round was used in a firearm that it wasn't really intended for?

View attachment 2172831

View attachment 2172832View attachment 2172833

View attachment 2172834

The old schoolhouse.
View attachment 2172835

View attachment 2172836
great scenery and great saves, love the barbie, thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back