George and Dragon Badge

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone help me with where this one comes from?
Obviously George and the Dragon, but it does not seem to fit any British unit/organisation. Style is a bit Germanic?
Scale at the bottom is in tenths of an inch. The back has no writing - white plain pressed metal with loops and a brass split pin style fixing.
I would suggest mid 20th century manufacture.

George and Dragon Badge.jpg

I agree with your assessment, circa 1930s, maybe German. But as for its use/function, its not like any Military item I have seen??

Upvote 0
looked at lots of pictures on the net of St. George pins and never found a match to yours. I have to say that out of all I saw, I like yours the best. It has a somewhat art deco look to it. I believe it was probably made around 1930. Other than that, I can't offer any other help. That is a cool piece though

Upvote 0
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Nice badge. It is military insignia, for armoured units of the Royal Netherlands Cavalry and looks to be WWII era. It’s depicted here with a caption that translates as “Cavalry emblem of the Royal Netherlands Land Force (armour units).”

Cavalry.jpg

https://forma-odezhda.com/encyclopedia/armiya-niderlandov-petlichnye-emblemy-vs-niderlandy/

Below, it says it’s a “lapel” emblem, but I believe actually worn on the shoulder. The ‘George & Dragon’ iconography is used by multiple countries, having emerged in the Middle Ages as a generic symbol of the man who makes a personal decision to be brave in the name of justice for a common good.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back