General question for MI prospectors

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Upvote 0
The black sand is like a plague, it is everywhere and there is a lot of it. There's a reason why all those iron mines were up there.

**********UPDATE***************

This morning I recieved permision to do all the gold searching I want on over 200 Acres with streams just south of Ipsheming UP. This is the gold belt for MI and all the streams on the property are gravel or clay bottoms. None of that MI sand in this area. :hello2:

SWEEEEEEET!

Now if only that sticking snow would melt I could actually get to the property! >:(

Don't get too excited. You really want to be on the north side of Ishpeming. The gold is in the Ishpeming and Marquette greenstone belts, both of which are to the north of town. You will find some glacial gold south of Ishpeming, but not like what is possible north of town. Most of the watershed that the lode gold is in heads to Lake Superior, the water o nteh south side of Ishpeming heads to Lake Michigan via the Escanaba River.

It sounds like your from up this way and have some experience on this topic. I am looking forward to trying it up there. I will find someone with land up there that will let me search.

If it works out sometime that I'm up there when you are, I'll be glad to take you to some spots. I make my money selling the equipment, so I don't really keep spots secret......it's bad for business :laughing7:

Well, hell........It just so happens I need equipment. What do you sell and where do you do it from? I was thinking about a high banker. Something that can just keep them kids shoveling. (not for the gold, it wears em out and makes them easier to deal with)

Im down in Grayling MI

Ian

I currently live in Sheboygan Falls, WI. I'm originally from Diorite, MI, it's about 3 miles from Ishpeming.
Just to warn you, both Keene and Proline adjust (raise) there prices on March 1st each year. I think my website shows up under my name next to my posts.

Surfin,
My in-laws have property on the beach of Superior North of Marquette and I always see areas of black sand there. One of these days I'll take a bucket home and try panning to see if there is any gold there but without any experience panning, I would probably lose more than I find.

Makton

Attachments

• Loma_7_08 136 (3).jpg
    Loma_7_08 136 (3).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 420
Ive done a lot of research on this so far and there is a website called "da Upper" and they talk about it alot. Of course they want yu to pay to go with them, and its not cheap.

Surfin

Sometime this summer I'll be guiding a bunch of cheeseheads panning in Marquette County. I'll p.m. you when I know the date.

Surfin,
Yeh, 150.00 seems kind of expensive for digging up some sand. I would be happy to give you a big bag full just to see what kind of results you can get.

EggyOg,
What would you recommend equipment wise for a beginner to try to find a little color in the UP?
I have an average at best detector to scout some areas but I don't know if that would even help at all up there as the gold would probably be too small to even detect.

I am thinking maybe a sluice and a pan would be all I need and a good stream with some color in it :laughing7:

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if you know where to buy or if you sell used equipment. I don't want to spend a lot since I will only be doing it once or twice a year with probably minimal results.

Thanks,

Makton

We have a bear camp right on the greenwood resevoir and we're up there august-sept. If you want to come up and stay at camp, I'm going to be out in a couple of spots that hold promise in the area. As far as equipment, I just bought a 36" keene sluice for $77 on ebay

Makton,
I would either just stick to a pan to start out, or use a super sucker, a 1/4" classifier, and probably an ez sluice with a flair. There is a lot of equipment that you could spend a lot more money on, but for a few times a year this will serve you well. The best thing you could have with you is someone who knows what they're doing and knows where there is gold. Why not come to the Gold and Treasure Show in Sheboygan Falls, WI on March 27-28. Not only will we have all the equipment you need, but the author of Michigan Gold: Mining in the Upper Peninsula will be there!

EggyOg,
Would love to go to that show but I am in Florida at that time. I'll let you know when next time I head up there in case you are in town at the same time. How much would a super sucker, sliuce an pan cost?

Makton

I haven't seen the updated price lists from the suppliers yet, but I'm guessing an EZ sluice with flair, super sucker, and Proline pan would be between $85-$90.

It's at the Municipal Building. I don't have the address handy, but the downtown is very small. The police, fire, and city hall are all in this building, so ther are signs directing you to it. It is on Buffalo Street, so if you google map buffalo street, sheboygan falls, wi you will get there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back