Garnet, Corundum, Diamond, etc???

georgiagirl23

Greenie
Oct 1, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these rocks on private property in the eastern / north eastern US. I choose not to be more specific bc of certain state laws regarding minerals of value. I have a hunch about some, but would like the opinion of more seasoned collectors. Please let me know your opinion on the following pics. BTW.....these rocks were found along side fossils, which I will post later.

Rock #1--pics 2-3.....great little cube, about the size of a dime
Rock #2--pics1, 4-5....hard to see in pic, but has a green triangle, right end.....quarter size rock
Rock #3--pics 6+..........this rock is VERY heavy, has some red/orange coloring with black inclusions......rock is larger than a half dollar

BTW............at Wendy's the other day and got my kids a Frosty. Paid with cash, and my change received included a Susan B. Anthony dollar, USED AS A QUARTER!!!!! Always check your coins!!!!!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 112
  • FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 277
  • FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 282
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 295
  • FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 301
  • FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 270
  • FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 294
  • FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 278
  • FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 278
  • FullSizeRender (13).jpg
    FullSizeRender (13).jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 113
  • FullSizeRender (14).jpg
    FullSizeRender (14).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 113
  • FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Picture 1 does not appear to be the same specimen as pics 4,5. Shape and coloration are different. Pic 1 hard to say what it may be. The cube in 2,3 could be corundum though they are not typically blocky. A hardness test would help there but it could be basalt as well. Pics 4,5 appear green to me and might have structure (?) harness and a streak test may be of help. The remaining specimen looks like a mix of jasper like silicate and the black may be high in iron giving it weight. Stones like these are hard to figure with just a picture so these are my best guess's. Harndess, streak testing and if you can a specific gravity test may help identify your collection. You would be well served to look into the minerals that are present at the locality you found them in to narrow things down.

Upvote 0
Picture 1 does not appear to be the same specimen as pics 4,5. Shape and coloration are different. Pic 1 hard to say what it may be. The cube in 2,3 could be corundum though they are not typically blocky. A hardness test would help there but it could be basalt as well. Pics 4,5 appear green to me and might have structure (?) harness and a streak test may be of help. The remaining specimen looks like a mix of jasper like silicate and the black may be high in iron giving it weight. Stones like these are hard to figure with just a picture so these are my best guess's. Hardness, streak testing and if you can a specific gravity test may help identify your collection. You would be well served to look into the minerals that are present at the locality you found them in to narrow things down.

Thanks for your input. I will def do a streak / hardness test. I had no clue as to what these might be. I can say that garnet and corundum have been found in the area, as well as diamond. I am leaning towards garnet, as it is the most common mineral in the area and they stones have a red / orange tint. BTW...Pic 1, 4 & 5 are indeed the same stone, pic 1 is the stone at a different angle.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back