Garage sale find, Southwestern painting, beautiful, but no signature!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, this is my first post, and I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of you with sincere appreciation for helping me with this artwork, and future artworks! I finally found the right place to be at, as it was getting very lonely not having a place to share painting scores/questions/challenges! I have developed a deep appreciation for art since last August, and I do spend a lot of time in finding them and researching them! This is one of those finds! I purchased this beautiful Southwestern painting, oil on canvas, 38" long by 27" high, approximately, at a garage sale. The painting is old based on the brownish color on the back of the canvas, and the nails instead staples. In my novice eye (Fine Art appreciation started last August when I scored another painting at another garage sale), it is a beautiful piece, definitely well made, not novice in nature, and with lovely colors and attention to details. The mountains specifically show a hint of cubism, and Mid-Century-Modern.

The observation that I have is that it is not signed. Believe me, I search everywhere on the front of the canvas, back of the canvas, the frame and all of its pieces, but no signature is present! How, and why would someone that did a lovely painting as this, would not sign it after spending hours, days, weeks on it? The painting is very large, Framed the length comes to 47". What I would like to ask is, does anybody recognize this style, the colors, shapes, location? Anything that you can add would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

RJA 028.JPG029.JPG030.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome painting Arizona/New Mexico?
Maybe the signature is under the frame?
Very nice western landscape!
Best of luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back