Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this two items not far from my early trade axe. Was wondering what they were.

First one appears to be some type of ladle,spurtle or a small tool. It's a complete unbroken piece. Hand forged and uneven. I believe from an early period.

DSC_1609.jpg
DSC_1610.JPG
DSC_1611.JPG
DSC_1614.JPG
DSC_1613.JPG

Second looks a bit like a small arrowhead. Broken at one side with a man made hole in the middle.

DSC_1615.JPG
DSC_1616.JPG
DSC_1617.JPG

Thank you.

Last edited:
More great recoveries.
You are on track with the first item.
The second I would not suspect an arrow head.
I do not have it identified , but ,...
Iron was not commonly used for inlays in gun stocks.
The shaping on the tang was the makers artistic flare / school of building if it is gun related.
A lock side plate? ( opposite side of stock from the lock ,and fasteners ran through it to lock.) Or ,a piece behind barrel tang?

Having decorative cuts ,it could be an attempt at jewelry too?
Iron and lead decorative pieces compared to brass or silver are " cheaper" ( I am not insulting them by writing that).
If recalled correctly ,subject to doubt , a period of French isolation existed around the straits during a war where trade goods were lacking and things were improvised.?? Iron furniture on guns were often on the more utilitarian grades than presentation ,higher class or chiefs grade types.

That spurtle or whatever the tool is shows great craftsmanship. A very nice piece.
Congrats.

Upvote 0
More great recoveries.
You are on track with the first item.
The second I would not suspect an arrow head.
I do not have it identified , but ,...
Iron was not commonly used for inlays in gun stocks.
The shaping on the tang was the makers artistic flare / school of building if it is gun related.
A lock side plate? ( opposite side of stock from the lock ,and fasteners ran through it to lock.) Or ,a piece behind barrel tang?

Having decorative cuts ,it could be an attempt at jewelry too?
Iron and lead decorative pieces compared to brass or silver are " cheaper" ( I am not insulting them by writing that).
If recalled correctly ,subject to doubt , a period of French isolation existed around the straits during a war where trade goods were lacking and things were improvised.?? Iron furniture on guns were often on the more utilitarian grades than presentation ,higher class or chiefs grade types.

That spurtle or whatever the tool is shows great craftsmanship. A very nice piece.
Congrats.

Thank you. Those are some great hypothesis. First one sure looks a lot like a spurtle. For the second one, the gun related item is a possibility as well since I have found an iron gun butt stock a few feet away.

Upvote 0
Are you near the ocean or large body of water? I ask because the first item looks like a caulking iron used to caulk seams on old time wooden boats? Maybe, just a guess.
imgp2218croprotate1.jpg

Upvote 0
Are you near the ocean or large body of water? I ask because the first item looks like a caulking iron used to caulk seams on old time wooden boats? Maybe, just a guess.
imgp2218croprotate1.jpg

Thank you.
Yes. I'm in Montreal so we always had ocean going ships coming into the port, but the item I have found is too fragile to be hit with the hammer of any kind. Also it has an original curve contrary to the caulking iron.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back