Fun Hunt along the 1880s Freight Wagon Road

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun Hunt along the 1880's Freight Wagon Road

Ended up with my FIRST :hello2: seated coin, an 1882 dime in very nice condition. Also found was a big brass button marked, "A. J. Tower Co. Boston." Research indicates that this button was made between 1886-1890.

Lastly, I dug a nearly complete, but smashed, brass match safe with a British(?) Royal crown embossed on both sides. I could find no other markings on it and the lid was missing too. Any help., i.e. age, maker, etc..., on this match safe would be much appreciated! Thanks for looking and happy hunting. Sub 8-)

Attachments

• SeatedDime.jpg.jpg
    SeatedDime.jpg.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 5
Hey Sub,
I assume you did some research to locate a station/building/water stop or some other type of structure rather than just walking the road, yes/no? Just curious. Nice finds, great coin and way older than any I've found so far................63bkpkr

nice finds congrats HH

Hey Sub,
I assume you did some research to locate a station/building/water stop or some other type of structure rather than just walking the road, yes/no? Just curious. Nice finds, great coin and way older than any I've found so far................63bkpkr

You betcha. These finds were all within 100 yards of the site of a wayhouse situated on the old (1830's-1920's) mail/freight road between Harrison Arkansas and Springfield Missouri. I have been pulling many 1880-1900 items from the road and surrounding fields there. Houses are being built here now and I have to save what I can before it is all covered. It was also a very busy Native American site based on all of the points, partials, flakes and other stone tools I have found in the same area. Sub

Sub, the housing developments usually remove the top soil and it must get stored somewhere, it would be a long shot but if you could learn where that storage spot is you might have more detecting to do...................63bkpkr

63bkpkr , i am guessing things are different from state to state due to codes maybe . but in most the eastern coast states i have traveled and worked in the top soil if removed goes into a large pile on the corner of the lot to be spread back out when the job is done . most jobs do not bother with the top soil and will bring in a few dumptruck loads to dress the yard up .
but that is a good idea to try the dirt piles ...:)

Very nice :thumbsup:congratulations8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back