From the water Sunday. Pretty silver colonial spoon handle and other odds and ends.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't want to post this until I had an id on the Spoon maker. Fortunately for me it was broken in a manner the makers mark was intact. Figuring out the silversmith HO & F was quite the task. Houlton,Otto & Folk of Philadelphia. An example in private collection is date marked 1782 but it lists their active dates as circa 1797. Other finds include a plated circle broach, piece of slag glass, few blue and white feather edge shards, a parasol slide and a buhch of copper for the scrap pile. Several ceramic electrical insulators (non pin type) and a pressed brass light fixture surround. Lead item has name of a paint co on it. Other silver spoon fragment in 1st photo is my only other silver spoon fragment.

Attachments

• IMG_20240610_203129_121.jpg
    IMG_20240610_203129_121.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240609_215555_731.jpg
    IMG_20240609_215555_731.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20240611_202614_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240611_202614_Chrome.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 11
I didn't want to post this until I had an id on the Spoon maker. Fortunately for me it was broken in a manner the makers mark was intact. Figuring out the silversmith HO & F was quite the task. Houlton,Otto & Folk of Philadelphia. An example in private collection is date marked 1782 but it lists their active dates as circa 1797. Other finds include a plated circle broach, piece of slag glass, few blue and white feather edge shards, a parasol slide and a buhch of copper for the scrap pile. Several ceramic electrical insulators (non pin type) and a pressed brass light fixture surround. Lead item has name of a paint co on it. Other silver spoon fragment in 1st photo is my only other silver spoon fragment.
love that old silver, thanks for posting

love that old silver, thanks for posting
Thank you. Hopefully an older silver coin in there somewhere. Only one has been a 1961 rosey. I think I have to walk more towards population for that...

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back