From outcrop of old mine

Eureka Black

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2024
Hello treasurenet friends, I broke this off a huge outcrop wall near an old gold mine with North Carolina known gold deposits according to the research done by authors Henry Nitze and Henry Benjamin Charles of 1896. I put my metal detector and pin pointer on it and received no signal. I took two pics, one without light and one with light. This rock is approximately 15 to 20 lbs. I need help identifying what this shiny mineral may be. Look on the internet and couldn’t find anything similar to it with all the isolated shiny minerals all through the rock. Thanks so much for anyone’s time to reply who may have a thought of this rock and matter.

Attachments

• C2A4C27E-BB33-419F-B38E-71B3A63153DC.jpeg
    C2A4C27E-BB33-419F-B38E-71B3A63153DC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
  • 3F5E430F-51D5-4435-ADB9-A60B4B263624.jpeg
    3F5E430F-51D5-4435-ADB9-A60B4B263624.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
Copper?

Aside from the penny, IDK which "shiny" mineral you're referring to. There's a lot of quartz (white), which I would expect. The dark specs look like biotite. Beyond that, please circle, arrow, or otherwise indicate which area/mineral.

Upvote 0
Copper?

Aside from the penny, IDK which "shiny" mineral you're referring to. There's a lot of quartz (white), which I would expect. The dark specs look like biotite. Beyond that, please circle, arrow, or otherwise indicate which area/mineral.
Copper?

Thank you for your reply Bucket Lister. I’m referring to the second pic without the penny with all the very shiny bright minerals throughout the quartz. I see the black, just wondering about the bright sparkly minerals. Thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0
If there's biotite, chances are there's muscovite as well. Beyond that, it's difficult to say without closer inspection. Probably white feldspar.

You say you couldn't find anything similar? How about these?
1717336790275.jpeg

1717336740280.jpeg

1717336443050.jpeg

Red=feldspar; Yellow=quartz.
Difficult to tell from picture alone.

1717337060856.jpeg

Upvote 1
If there's biotite, chances are there's muscovite as well. Beyond that, it's difficult to say without closer inspection. Probably white feldspar.

You say you couldn't find anything similar? How about these?
View attachment 2152190
View attachment 2152189
View attachment 2152188
Red=feldspar; Yellow=quartz.
Difficult to tell from picture alone.

View attachment 2152191
Thanks for your thoughts Bucket Lister.

Upvote 0
A closer look. Can this mineral be associated with a gold deposit nearby?

Attachments

• C570020F-2D09-4166-984E-5CC531EACD15.png
    C570020F-2D09-4166-984E-5CC531EACD15.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
A closer look. Can this mineral be associated with a gold deposit nearby?
If gold is found with them, yes; gold is present in extremely low concentrations in most igneous rocks (but may be too scarce to register), HOWEVER, just the presence of one or more of those minerals does not necessarily mean gold nearby. Quartz, feldspar, the micas... are among the most common minerals on the planet.

Upvote 0
What you have is a pegmatite. Pegmaties form from intrusive igneous rock. Your sample was formed when a hot igneous mass intruded and cooled quickly far below the earth's surface many millions of years ago.

Pegmatites are composed of the lightest minerals and metals. For that reason there is no known instance of gold in pegmatite. (gold is a heavy metal :headbang:).

Pegmatites do produce some of the most beautiful gemstones. It might be worth your while to look for loose gems in the eroded rock faces in your area. You will have to find another form of rock if you are searching for gold.

Upvote 3
What you have is a pegmatite. Pegmaties form from intrusive igneous rock. Your sample was formed when a hot igneous mass intruded and cooled quickly far below the earth's surface many millions of years ago.

Pegmatites are composed of the lightest minerals and metals. For that reason there is no known instance of gold in pegmatite. (gold is a heavy metal :headbang:).

Pegmatites do produce some of the most beautiful gemstones. It might be worth your while to look for loose gems in the eroded rock faces in your area. You will have to find another form of rock if you are searching for gold.

Possible, but from the page you cited:
To be called a "pegmatite," a rock should be composed almost entirely of crystals that are at least one centimeter in diameter.
From the first picture (with penny), those crystals don't look big enough. This is another reason for closer inspection. Pics can only tell us so much.

Upvote 0
I guess one could crush it, and pan it. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Thank you for your thoughts Clay Diggins. There are several small dikes approximately 20’ long and go into the bank to a unknown depth. You say this is pegmatite which I can clearly see. But would you happen to know what the shiny metallic is. Does biotite look golden and shine like what’s in the pic without the penny. Yes, I did notice a few blue spots in the pegmatite, could the possibly be sapphire. Finally, there is a known gold, silver and copper mine approximately 25’ from this outcrop that’s underground-an adit that goes 125’ by known sources. Is it normal to have this type of outcrop this close to a mine? Thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back