From garage sale picking, to retail picking.

Ah man! I HATE it when they discontinue my favorite make-up! :laughing7:

makeup cat.png

One MAJOR thing I've learned is the best time to look for retail store bargains (in all types of stores like Target, Sears, etc.) is on "Thursday" afternoon and evening. The store departments are putting out their "returns" and marking down their clearance items to get ready for the weekend. Lowes' paint dept. usually keeps their weekly returns and puts out their "OOPS" paint on Thursday evenings....

Lowe's does clear out slow moving and discontinued items at startling prices. I bought two new cases of 6' long sections of black metal ridge vent and sold them at my garage sale... I collected their "Cull Carts" of various lumber and building supplies for over a year. (Some lumber may be defective, but clear cuts of 8' wall studs can be made. The "Culled Lumber" sells for about .15% of retail pricing; sometimes less) I had enough clearance lumber to build my wife 90% of a two story "hobby" cabin in the back yard; all studs and rafters on 16" centers. Home Depot cuts theirs into 5' lengths and sells their culled lumber that way. (The storage place you see in the picture has an 8ft. rollup door and is 12' wide and 33' feet deep. Plywood, pressure treated and yellow pine lumber of all sizes; so you see it was stacked full.) The 30 yr. composite shingles and Hardyboard siding came from clearance/damaged pricing at Home Depot. To heat and cool it, in October when the floor/isle models of discontinued/seasonal happen, I bought a window "heat pump" for the heating and A/C of this 16'x32' two story hobby shed for 1/2 price. Dormer double pane windows and steel insulated doors were 60% off due to returns or dent.

Also, had enough pressure treated lumber to build some raised bed gardens.

When the building boom was on, I found more and better deals at Lowes and Home Depot that I ever saw at our monthly flea market. The best part was that all purchases came with a 30 day money back guarantee... If I didn't use it or sell it for a profit, I could take it back for a refund...:tongue3:

Attachments

• Trudy's Shed 04_18_07004.jpg
    Trudy's Shed 04_18_07004.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 86
  • TZ December Progress001.jpg
    TZ December Progress001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010680.JPG
    P1010680.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Snow Over on 2010-02-12a.JPG
    Snow Over on 2010-02-12a.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
For those here in Florida..a few times a year the Bealls outlet stores do a 4 day event where they offer 50% of all clearance prices. If you hit this sale on a Friday you can also add a further 15% off due to their one card promotion. Last year I bought 2 Tommy Hilfiger ladies purses for 16.99 each. I sold the first for $49.99 on eBay and the second for $39.99. It's a great store for bargains! I still like garage sales better though :-)

For those here in Florida..a few times a year the Bealls outlet stores do a 4 day event where they offer 50% of all clearance prices. If you hit this sale on a Friday you can also add a further 15% off due to their one card promotion. Last year I bought 2 Tommy Hilfiger ladies purses for 16.99 each. I sold the first for $49.99 on eBay and the second for $39.99. It's a great store for bargains! I still like garage sales better though :-)

I got two nice Nike jackets there for $14 each. Sold them for $70 each. Also my husband bought 3 pairs of polo jeans for $3 each. He wears them though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back