✅ SOLVED Friend of mine ties World Record for snakehead!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He tied the world record yesterday it was caught in Stafford,Virginia a 17.4 pound Snakehead, it was certified weigh in this morning @ Greentop in Richmond! Caught down @ the Potomac Creek where we do lot of fishing,metal detecting and hunting. The world record was caught in Japan 17.4 pounds. There was a supposedly a 18.4 one caught last year in the same water but the angler did not officially weigh it correctly or brought it too a certified weigh in so it was never on the books! My friend just got married last month so a good gift!

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 126
LOL!I have some buds that Bowfish them nasty lookin things back there,and get some big ones...not that big I guess or is that one just the angling record?Pretty cool man!My bud just shot the new Calif state record carp and as far as we know the second largest in the US 69 lbs!

Upvote 0
Is "Snakehead" their common name or slang ? It looks like what us "northerners" call a "Dogfish" and it was slang . From your photo it looks like the same fish . If so they are actually called a "bowfin" because of their tail and they are very primitive . Good catch ! Woodstock

Upvote 0
There is supposedly a 19 lber out of that same creek...buts its Bowfished.Wood.....these are snake heads

Upvote 0
LOL!I have some buds that Bowfish them nasty lookin things back there,and get some big ones...not that big I guess or is that one just the angling record?Pretty cool man!My bud just shot the new Calif state record carp and as far as we know the second largest in the US 69 lbs!
Kuger... that carp would be worth ten grand here.

SS

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
:thumbsup:,ah hah!Missed that part!There are bigger ones in those waters it sounds like,get em all!!!!!

Upvote 0
catch them all and kill them before they take over

Upvote 0
This looks like the same place?Not sure how it was taken?snake.jpg

Upvote 0
kuger ... You yourself called this a Bowfish above but there is a the difference ... they appear to be part of or the same species but they are not . Take a long slow at the two and make another comparison . So I made a visual mistake and asked a question . And the correct term is Bowfin not Bowfished ,and those are Snakeheads . And they look very similar and a lot of people make the same mistake I did . IMHO , Woodstock
Bowfin
Scientific classification
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Actinopterygii
Order:Amiiformes
Family:Amiidae
Subfamily:Amiinae
Genus:Amia
Linnaeus, 1766
Species:A. calva
Binomial name
Amia calva
Linnaeus, 1766
Snakehead
Northern snakehead, Channa argus
Subphylum:Vertebrata
Order:Perciformes
Suborder:Channoidei
Family:Channidae
Fowler, 1934
Genera

Now maybe you can see why I asked ...
There is supposedly a 19 lber out of that same creek...buts its Bowfished.Wood.....these are snake heads

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yah Woodstock I really had no idea about BowFins. They are not on the Potomac River that I know of but they are in some lakes in Virginia. Never seen a bowfish, i am not really a big fishermen but I have friends that are die hard ones who go out in tournaments a-lot on the potomac/rappahannock rivers. I only like Catfishing and Bass fishing and mainly on ponds...

Upvote 0
kuger ... You yourself called this a Bowfish above but there is a the difference ... they appear to be part of or the same species but they are not . Take a long slow at the two and make another comparison . So I made a visual mistake and asked a question . And the correct term is Bowfin not Bowfished ,and those are Snakeheads . And they look very similar and a lot of people make the same mistake I did . IMHO , Woodstock
Bowfin
Order:Amiiformes
Family:Amiidae
Subfamily:Amiinae
Genus:Amia
Linnaeus, 1766
Species:A. calva
Binomial name
Amia calva
Linnaeus, 1766
Snakehead
Northern snakehead, Channa argus
Subphylum:Vertebrata
Order:Perciformes
Suborder:Channoidei
Family:Channidae
Fowler, 1934
Genera

Now maybe you can see why I asked ...

...I did not call it a Bowfish....its a Snakehead....Bowfishing is a sport where trash fish are taken with a Bow and arrow....."Bowfish":thumbsup:Also...Bowfin are Bowfished......

Upvote 0
Those are called Mud Fish in Florida. Ive caught some big ones myself but never thought about trying to weigh them. They have some nasty teeth and will bite you. I always kill them and throw them back in for the gators and turtles to finish off.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back