mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug an unusual find in Northern Michigan. This appears to be an intact brass French Pomander (popular between 1200's - 1600's. Rare? 20190515_090948.jpg

Upvote 17
Curious as to how you arrived at the date? Very interesting piece!! Hope you really go back and work that area!!

Last edited:
Curious as to how you arrived at the date, as these were popular up to the early 1900's?

Maybe because it's a French fur trade site with nothing dug post 1600's?

Those French fur traders and trappers always liked to smell their best. Cool find.

I love anything fleur de lis especially that old even if it’s 19th century I love it. Being Cajun from New Orleans that’s a personal banner in my world.

Last edited:
So somebody, with money, skipped out of merry old Europe with their "perfume ball" they used to help cut the stench of rotting bodies on the street during a plague and dropped it on what was to become U.S. soil. I suppose the chain is a little short but it could have been used (in a pinch) as a plumb bob.

Ain't History amazing!.........63bkpkr

Excellent find! That's about as good as it gets in our state. Our European history is not as rich as that of coastal America. There are some that would argue that De Soto made it into Michigan. I personally don't believe so. Everywhere his exploration went the native populations were decimated by disease. The French on the other hand tended to live with and as the natives using our waterways to travel and explore vast amounts of North America. Building forts and trading centers in many states. During the French and Indian war there were some serious battles and at other times immediate surrender. They had control and influence from the Rocky mountains to the east coast of Canada. It was in fact Sacajaweas French husband that guided Lewis and Clark on the journey of discovery. But I get carried away. Your find is most likely from a French military officer. Can't do much better in Michigan age wise! Congratulations, this is a Midwestern bucketlister.

Maybe because it's a French fur trade site with nothing dug post 1600's?

Well, I think you dug at least one item which dates later than the 1600s. That pin attachment on the back is 20th century. That there is a 20th century brooch.

Excellent find! That's about as good as it gets in our state. Our European history is not as rich as that of coastal America. There are some that would argue that De Soto made it into Michigan. I personally don't believe so. Everywhere his exploration went the native populations were decimated by disease. The French on the other hand tended to live with and as the natives using our waterways to travel and explore vast amounts of North America. Building forts and trading centers in many states. During the French and Indian war there were some serious battles and at other times immediate surrender. They had control and influence from the Rocky mountains to the east coast of Canada. It was in fact Sacajaweas French husband that guided Lewis and Clark on the journey of discovery. But I get carried away. Your find is most likely from a French military officer. Can't do much better in Michigan age wise! Congratulations, this is a Midwestern bucketlister.

It's a 20th century piece of costume jewelry. While I enjoyed your story, it's best to keep the record accurate. Misinformation spreads like wild fire on this forum. This needs to be posted on the Fur Trade forum. Let's see what they say about this.

Well, I think you dug at least one item which dates later than the 1600s. That pin attachment on the back is 20th century. That there is a 20th century brooch.
I agree, I'm not sure if its 20th C or late 19th C, but what I am sure about, is its not 17th C or earlier.

The people on the fur trade forum are knowledgeable of fur trade items but this is not a fur trade item.
It's a personal effect that was never a trade item.
It looks to be from the Victorian period. If it wasn't a pomander then I would guess it to be a chatelaine piece.
With that said, it is a very nice find as something like this would rarely be in such nice intact condition.
If that was lost in the field it would be all mangled.
Cool. :thumbsup:

It's a very interesting piece, and the chain appears to remarkably intact, as well as the entire find being in terrific shape. No idea on age, but I'd be proud to pull such a thing up! Congrats to ya mate. :skullflag: :occasion14:

I've dug a couple pomanders here in Canada. Usually Victorian era. If the ball comes apart for the top potion to move up a chain or pin (so they could add spices etc), it's likely a Victorian pomander. It's a really cool find, and I'm not disputing the age, as I'm no expert. I can just offer my opinion based on what I've seen and held in my hand. Good job!

Great find MK, congrats! Turn it over and show us the clasp, please? Someone had one of those on here about 6 weeks ago, but I think his was crushed.

Pomander on a French fur trader, Peppy LePew? Most fur traders I've met never completely get off the smell of the lure they use. I'm not sure what to put in the Pomander, LOL!

Most of the folks who handled the dead during the plague would'nt have been able smell the pomander for the odor of the "Theives Formula" they used.

Best wishes!

I said it was "found" on a 1600's French Fur Trade site and were "popular" between 1200 - 1600's. I never said it was from the 1600's. Thanks for all the info...moving on.

Cool find, congrats! :occasion14: Looks like an 1800's piece. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back