French Passenger ship lost 1856 found off Nantucket:

Unbelievable that the sailboat kept on going.

The crew of Adriatic claimed to be unaware that the collision with Le Lyonnais had left her in peril because, as the New York Daily Times quoted the captain in its 19 November 1856 front page story: “The steamer continued her course, which would have carried her by our stern.”

Adriatic had only minor damage from the collision, but headed to port for repairs, initially making no mention of the collision with Le Lyonnais, believing it had also only suffered minor damage.

However, Le Lyonnais had been left with at least one small hole in her hull near the waterline and only managed to remain under power for 10 minutes before her boilers were extinguished by the incoming water. Attempts to bail her out and plug the hole with mattresses and quilts were unsuccessful and hampered by the rough seas, but she remained afloat with all hands for 3 days. Her lifeboats were inadequate to accommodate everyone on board, so the crew built a makeshift raft out of spare masts and doors as it became increasingly clear the ship would ultimately sink.

The lifeboats and the raft managed to stay together for a few hours until a thick fog set in and they became separated. Only one boat under the command of Le Lyonnais‘ second mate was recovered. Two of its occupants had died during a week of rough seas and freezing weather, with only 5 passengers and 11 crew rescued.

I have never heard about this one. I wonder how deep it is? The article made no mention of it.
Sounds like if the Adriatic had hung around a while they could have saved everyone. The damage looked minor, but......

I have never heard about this one. I wonder how deep it is? The article made no mention of it.

The Atlantic Wreck Salvage team is not currently revealing Le Lyonnais’ exact location or depth. The wreck is said to be on the eastern edge of Georges Bank, an elevated area of the sea floor off the Massachusetts coast, about 200 miles from New Bedford and “very buried” in the sand as well as "really broken up."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back