ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
four kid "mugging" at the tot lot =finds 3 cents 1 dime and a nra zipper pull

yesterday the weather was too nice to not go out hunting -- its been freezing cold lately * so off to the local lot park for a "quick fix" of mding -- got to the park fired up the ace 250 by the kiddie slide --when I hear -- "hello mr salis" -- ut oh -- its some "kids" --- 1 of which was from my wifes school ( she teaches 3rf to 5th grade music)--will epps -- who I gave a civil war bullet to as well a civil war magazine that showed a man was last name was "epps" in a florida confederate uniform --confederate calvary (good chance it was a past family member of his) -- a very bright young lad * --he said I heard the metal detector "beeping" and thought it might be you -- so we fiddled about with the detector fopr awhile --- with the various kids getting to play digger and with me showing will how its done and letting him use the 250 a bit -- at the end he said this is fun --but its a lot of work . --the one gal was a freckled kid with no front top teeth -- she found the dime -- his buddy fround the nra zipper pull --intact and usible --I showed them how it was used --(the dime gal --kept trying to trade it for the zipper pull but the boy (her brother) was having none of it ) --fun was had by all-- for 13 cents and a zipper pull --wills dad came by nervious as as wet hen -- be careful --that thing is expensive -- I said its ok I'm helping em use it :wink: he then thanked me for giving will the civil war bullet and said the kid is "in love" with civil war stuff . (will said just was a drummer boy in a local reenactors group at nearby olustee)

will got 1 zinc cent --will's sister 2 zinc cents --his freind got a nra zipper pull and his sister got a clad dime me-- I got a laugh to see them , dig about wondering what "treasure" they would "find" --so every one got something . ;D

Upvote 0
Re: four kids -- 3- cents -1 dime and a zipper pull -- priceless

that is cool!! those kids will remember that for along time and one day might buy a metal detector.

1 kid, 4 dimes, 3 cents & a zipperpull would be better.

sometimes you feel like the pied piper..one,two,four,eight kids all following..and i let one use the detector then they all jostle for a go...so up with the excuse i.ve gotta go...but fun anyway..well done MR salis

what is it about detectors that draws kids to em like a magnet ? is it they just like us want to see the "treasure" uncovered ?

Re: four kids =find 3- cents -1 dime and a zipper pull -- priceless

The treasure is part of it, but it probably has more to do with the fact that you took the time to interact with these kids in a meaningful way. Many children only experience adults in their rules and regulations mode. Once you can introduce a child to something interesting and treat them like they are capable, you will be amazed how popular you become. That is why everyone has a favorite aunt or uncle. You told those children with your actions, patience, and time that they are important and that you trust them with your treasure finder.

It is a shame that in our society interactions like this are almost non existant. Thank you for taking the time to share your story.

Fathead

Good job, I'm sure you made their day, probably one they will remember for a long time. :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

Re: four kid "mugging" at the tot lot =finds 3 cents 1 dime and a nra zipper pull

Plehbah, you could offer to take a group of kids prospecting in the hills.

Have them pack in your equipment. (Free Sherpas!)

Have them dig all of the material. (Free labor)

Then leave them there. Thereby reducing the number of interuptions to your quest for the perfect pulltab.

Or, you could get a shirt that says "I'm that stranger you are not supposed to talk to."

FH

Re: four kid "mugging" at the tot lot =finds 3 cents 1 dime and a nra zipper pull

or a shirt thats says the famous wc feilds quote --when asked if he "really hated kids or weither it was all an act"-- " his reply was ---"why of course I like children --cooked over a slow fire their delicious"

ah yes my little chicadee!!! children sould be seen and not heard. ;D ;D ya did good my friend. willy

You did a great thing taking the time to teach and listen to the kids to many parents don't and it is a sad thing i love when my son i are out hunting and other kids want to try my son and i let them try the md and if they cant find anything i will walk away and put a few Penny's out so they can find them it just makes there day.That's what it is all about taking the time to teach are youth because they are our future . RON

Kudos Ivan!

Kids are the greatest.

Another of W. C. Fields' infamous quotes ...
"Anyone who hates kids and small dogs,
can't be all bad."

I really love to see the interest kids show in this hobby, and have had many "sessions" such as yours Ivan.... But lord, sometimes I have to admit that I cringe when I see a dozen little ones running for me at full speed... They want to touch everything, try everything... And there is always the kid that wants to take your detector from you no matter how many times you say "now be careful, this machine is very expensive", etc.. And how many times do you have to say "I cant swing the machine if you are standing right in front of it, I dont want to hit you"... LOL...

Gotta love em though, and I will leave an area ("oh darn, I am late for an appointment"), before I will EVER be one of those grumpy old bass tards that wipes that smile off their face and destroys their interest in our hobby with angry stares and growling comments.... Not enough kids have outdoor hobbies such as ours anymore..

Good Job Ivan!

fathead said:
The treasure is part of it, but it probably has more to do with the fact that you took the time to interact with these kids in a meaningful way. Many children only experience adults in their rules and regulations mode. Once you can introduce a child to something interesting and treat them like they are capable, you will be amazed how popular you become. That is why everyone has a favorite aunt or uncle. You told those children with your actions, patience, and time that they are important and that you trust them with your treasure finder.

It is a shame that in our society interactions like this are almost non existant. Thank you for taking the time to share your story.

Fathead
Right on, FH. Kids want to be noticed other than when someone tells them, "No."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back