Fountain Colorado - Spanish markings?

Jul 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, my name is Michael and I am new to this site… I have searched high and low for some information on this fine day have came up empty-handed. I have wrote several museums to no avail. Hoping someone here can help me.

My dad and I were walking in and around the mountains in southern Colorado around Saguache county and we found this on the side of a cliff. It’s extremely heavy, about 150 pounds or so. It was actually laying face down but looked really odd based on where it was at so when we flipped it over this is what we found. C150992C-E51C-4233-9E1A-346BDCD393B4.jpeg35ADA62C-1D1C-42A3-B2B1-2B8C6AD2BC36.jpeg

Hey I'm just down the road in Pueblo, I was wondering where I left that if you'll just send me the coordinates I'll be right there! :laughing7:

No, but seriously it sure looks like a directional marker. I'd say to post it on the Treasure Marks/Signs section and see what the folks there have to say

Upvote 0
It does look like a Native American directional marker or tribal boundary marker There are boundary markers in my area.

Upvote 0
Fountains in El Paso County. Being it was found in Saguache County it could be native American, as that County is pretty much made up of the San Luis Valley and a major hunting grounds for many tribes that came from all directions during the warmer seasons. What was it that caught your eye about that rock, being you said it was upside down when you found it? Did it look out of place for some reason? The reason I ask is, I found a flat sandstone slab along the Arkansas River in Chaffee County broken in pieces. It was definitely out of place from all the other river alluvium stones which I thought was odd. I pieced it together and it was a metate that I don't believe was used for grinding grain, but instead to shape the river rocks into axe heads because of its abrasive properties. I suspected the sandstone slab came from the region of Canyon City as there was no source of that type of sedimentary stone around Buena Vista where I found it. I would definitely post your find in the Native American forum, but I'm not sure it'll be determined what it means, being that could only be explain by the one who originally created it. Don't lose track of the place you found it, as that's a place you wanna maybe do some more looking around next time you're in the area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah... just an odd stone and the gravel around it was loose so I knew it was out of place. What was odd was how it got there because it was HEAVY!

Upvote 0
Thats an amazing find I would haul that home lol hopoe if you find out more you let us know thats just really cool

Upvote 0
Sometimes the Indians would bury their tools at a seasonal camp for when they might return.

You dug down a little, ... right ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back