Found this old sword - maker and age?

Chad1978

Dec 27, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I came across this sword at a garage sale, and while I am far from a weapons expert, it looked quit old and authentic. Just looking for a "second" and "third" opinion on whether it is real and manufacturer/age? My suspicion is a German made gentleman's hunting sword 18th century or 19th century?

Any and all thoughts, opinions are appreciated!

thanks.

Attachments

• sword 1.jpg
    sword 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 221
  • sword 2.jpg
    sword 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • sword 3.jpg
    sword 3.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 187
  • sword 4.jpg
    sword 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
Looks like "marr & third" to me.... the writing under that will be critical to getting it figured out. My impression is that it's a 19th century German style hunting sword.... I think what we are seeing on the scabbard is a presentation, rather than a maker though.

What I would do.... I would slowly coat the leather with mink oil using a soft brush and gently heat it with a hair dryer to help it soak in. Keep doing this until the leather is to a point where it seems less likely to break apart before trying to gently slide the blade out. I would imagine there will be some engraving on the blade which could be pretty fancy and also tell us more about it. The makers name will be at the base of the blade at the cross guard.

When you try to remove the blade from the scabbard.... keep the scabbard on a flat surface and completely supported to have less chance of damage... It may break anyway, no matter how careful you are but the more you support it the better. Take your time and go easy on it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does this help

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-11-23-43-46.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-11-23-43-46.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
You have it in hand and should be able to read it. I agree that is the presentation we are trying to read. The blade has the makers mark and it may be a fine engraved blade as stated by Nola -Ken. Clock is ticking. If the scabbard is that far gone and not restorable with say mink oil you do not have much to loose if it is not functional for its intended purpose which is the sheath the blade.

Upvote 0
Congrats! Thats an early christmas present! :icon_thumleft:
It's a so called Hirschfaenger and i wouldn't wonder if the blade has a Solingen makers mark. So you're right with hunting sword. The design could be an indicator of a 1700 Hirschfaenger. Sheat is most likely leather covered wood and will break when you remove the blade. I wouldn't care. It can be restored with the important parts still there.
Do a google search for Hirschfanger or Hirschfaenger.
Here's just an example:
Fricker Historische Waffen - Jagdwaffen wie Hirschfänger, Jagdplaute, Sauspieß, Sauschwert sowie Jagdspieß und Praxe - antike, alte
Fricker Historische Waffen - Jagdwaffen wie Hirschfänger, Jagdplaute, Sauspieß, Sauschwert sowie Jagdspieß und Praxe - antike, alte

Upvote 0
Congrats! Thats an early christmas present! :icon_thumleft:
It's a so called Hirschfaenger and i wouldn't wonder if the blade has a Solingen makers mark. So you're right with hunting sword. The design could be an indicator of a 1700 Hirschfaenger. Sheat is most likely leather covered wood and will break when you remove the blade. I wouldn't care. It can be restored with the important parts still there.
Do a google search for Hirschfanger or Hirschfaenger.
Here's just an example:

You just did a Mic Drop with that one. Jürgen Fricker, and even has his email address listed too.

nice one.

Upvote 0
Wow, everyone on this site is SO HELPFUL! I appreciate all of your suggestions more than you can imagine, and the more time I spend around artifacts the more I learn,...and this is a process that never ends! The update is that on Thursday I am traveling to Saint Augustine to visit a friend who owns a treasure shops and does restorations and salvaging of shipwrecked artifacts to see if he can help. I do not trust myself to try and remove the blade without damaging it. I will keep everyone updated once I find out more. Happy holidays everyone!

Upvote 0
Hello, Chad1978!
I’ve looked hard at the pic with the writing on the sword. It appears to me that the first line reads “MARR ? THIRD”. I made a crude safari search and found mentions of Earls of Mar in Scotland. They were numbered such as Third Earl of Mar, etc.. in reading further, Mar was the name of the place in Scotland and Marr is the surname that came from there. I’m no scholar, so quote me loosely, please.
I also crudely came up with the first word/name on the second line as “Arundell”.????? I looked it up as well and it is a family surname from the Cornwall area of England. This all may be nothing but maybe a start?

Upvote 0
If you invert the color of pictures it can sometimes bring out new details. I tried this and to me the top two words look like "MARR THIRD" could be a presentation piece or a piece depicting an epic hunt. Not sure if MARR would be abbreviation for march or not

Upvote 0
Sorry late post. Didnt read page two of comments. Feel awkward. Now ha

Upvote 0
Don’t feel bad, Alset, I did the same thing. I haven’t posted in 2 or 3 years and did not realize there was another page. The format has changed.

Upvote 0
Yes. I scrolled to bottom and thought that was it. Thought i could help. Then posted and realized i missed alot

Upvote 0
Pretty awesome find. I'd say German, but what is that grip made from? Maybe the tusk of a Narwhal?

Upvote 0
just checking my thread after several months, thank you for the interpretations of the mark on the bottom of the sword. still trying to positively ID whether it is a maker's mark, presentation mark or something else. need to read all the letters first though. Since it is solid silver hilt, fittings, suspension rings and pommel....I assume someone quite wealthy used to own it.

Upvote 0
the grip is made of antler that was stained green. I am surprised the stain is still visible and very sharp too! My goal though is to figure out what the words on on the presentation so I can trace back who it was made for. The words, form those I can read, sound like English to me. "MArr and Third?", Arindale street? The last line I cannot read at all.

Upvote 0
Pictures of sword out of the scabbard - sorry for delay in showing everyone

Oh, and here are some pics from when I got the sword free from the scabbard with the help of a friend who handles ancient relics. he said he has never seen a sword this old where you can still see so much of the original steel, only about 40% of it looks oxidized/rusted.

Sorry for the delay in posting these pics...had a baby so my free time has gone from little to almost none....ha ha

Attachments

• sword 1.jpg
    sword 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • sword 2.jpg
    sword 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • sword 3.jpg
    sword 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
That hilt is gorgeous. I can’t be helpful otherwise, but I sure can admire it!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back