Found this old sword - maker and age?

Chad1978

Dec 27, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I came across this sword at a garage sale, and while I am far from a weapons expert, it looked quit old and authentic. Just looking for a "second" and "third" opinion on whether it is real and manufacturer/age? My suspicion is a German made gentleman's hunting sword 18th century or 19th century?

Any and all thoughts, opinions are appreciated!

thanks.

Attachments

• sword 1.jpg
    sword 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 221
  • sword 2.jpg
    sword 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • sword 3.jpg
    sword 3.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 187
  • sword 4.jpg
    sword 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
Are there any stamps on the blade near the hilt?

Upvote 0
^^^^^ Any markings on the blade?

Does appear to be a hunting sword (aka Hanger"). I believe the dog heads on the cross-guard were used by Germanic States and the French.

Upvote 0
I cant seem to remove blade form scabbard - don't want to destroy sword

how could I try to remove the sword form scabbard without breaking it...oil?

Upvote 0
First things first; you have to separate it from the scabbard. Is the very tip of the scabbard intact? it looks like it may be broken off. If so, get some oil on the blade through the break. If not, try to get some between the sword hilt and the scabbard. Don't get into too big of a rush. The scabbard looks fragile. EXCELLENT find!

Upvote 0
Two choices: a good penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench, PB Blast, Barricade) or a corrosion breaker/preventive (CorrosionX)

Try not to get any on the grip, so apply it point down. Let it sit overnight (or longer).

But first - is it a leather scabbard, or leather over brass? If it is a leather scabbard the blade may be the only thing holding it together. Soooo . . . if it is valuable you may destroy some of the value. Someone who is a capable restorer may be able to stabilize the scabbard AND get the blade out.

So you have to decide whether you want our free, unprofessional help based on little images or to present it in person to someone who knows their stuff and can examine it first-hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what he said, oh and have it appraised before you do anything to it.

Upvote 0
new info on the sword - makers mark revealed but cant read all of it

Hello everyone, so I made some more progress with this unidentified sword. I cleaned off some of the metal areas, and you can see that it all seems to be silver, not bronze or copper as I thought. It also revealed some manufacturer's name on the scabbard where the blade meets the hilt. I can't make out the entire words, only "MARR&"..??? If anyone has more info based on this new information please let me know, much appreciated. Here are some pictures with the makers mark...

Attachments

• sword makers mark 1.jpg
    sword makers mark 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 284
  • sword makers mark 2.jpg
    sword makers mark 2.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0
yes sir, a home run, but I still don;t know exact age period. Kind of a "double edged" sword (never mind the pun)....it's great to know its silver and see a mark, but cant read the entire writing...even with my magnifying lens I can not make out the words.....arghhhh, so frustrating....ha ha

Upvote 0
Got to get it out. Congrats !! Might be somthing banner worthy if its legitimate !! Awsome score if its real. Looking good so far !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
European Hunting Sword ? Very nice !

Upvote 0
If I can not read something engraved with such a smooth surface then I would place a thin paper over it and shade the paper with a pencil.

Seen many and have known a few who collected the aristocrat swords, forester cutlass and hunter swords. But the largest collection I have seen is held at the Natural History Museum in Mainz. I added a link, feel free to contact them with your pictures.

But come back and tell us what you got if you contact them.

Landeshauptstadt Mainz: Portal page | Homepage

Upvote 0
Is the scabbard leather? Germany,Russia possibly French or Spain. and other countries made these hunting swords.My guess is Spain. Yours is a very nice hunting hanger style. I would go very slow on any restoration if any. Here is a company you might shoot pictures to. I have done business with them in the past and consider them experts in edged weapons from all countries.

https://www.michaeldlong.com/default.aspx
You may contact them by e-mail

May also be a forestry sword ?

https://www.michaeldlong.com/Catalo...an-Engraved-Forestry-Cutlass-Hirshfanger.aspx

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back