Found this blue colored, almost glass like rock a few years ago

Nimbus

Oct 23, 2020
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was living in Clarksville Tennessee and we had a creek out behind our house. It was great for fossil finds, however this wasn't one. It was in the deepest section of the creek and I never found anything else like it while I was there. If anyone could help me try and figure out what it might be, that would be greatly appreciated. I can get accurate size and weight if needed, however when taking the pictures the best thing I had at the time was a syringe. IMG_0977.JPGIMG_0978.JPGIMG_0979.JPGIMG_0980.JPG

Hi Nimbus, welcome to treasure net. I will throw a guess out there. I think it is slag. Unstable residue left after processing iron.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the welcome! It's possible, I have some slag that came from a few miles away that I'd gotten from a yard sale. However the slag I got looks a lot different in comparison. I can get pictures with the two side by side later on today if that was wanted.

Upvote 0
Slag glass. It can come in all kinds of colors and swirly patterns. See the tiny bubble holes all over it? that's one of the main giveaways.

Upvote 0
Slag glass is beautiful, I would enjoy cutting some cabs out some of the pieces I have seen. You could probably treat the holes with a fracture sealer like Opticon. I tend to see a lot of green material here in Colorado!

Upvote 0
Well I'm not at all disappointed with it being slag. I was almost worried it would be something like just a piece of trash. Thank you both!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back