✅ SOLVED Found this behind an early 1800s house in Nash County NC and was curious if anyone had any idea what it could be.Piece of wood was in narrow end.

Drinkcap

Greenie
Sep 10, 2024
1000001487.jpg

Solution
its a metal insert to a cabinet door ,they pounded them in to a pre drilled hole and than the door would push down on a pin fixed to the cabinet , much the same way old house doors were pin to the wall with pins ..threw the years the door and the wood would rot away and leave those laying for some future treasure hunter to be amazed at his find well done sir you have won the game ..you have found a door pin retainer ...!
Thanks for your insight to what I found. I was curious to what it was ,but now I know. Thanks from Nash County,NC
Upvote 0
:icon_scratch: What's it made of? In some pics it looks like metal, but in others it looks like I see wood grain...

The annular grooves suggest this thing might've been pushed into something else. I was thinking the mouthpiece of a pipe or cigarette holder, but the wood was jammed into this thing rather than the other way around. :dontknow:
your correct but they are in most old house shutters,the wood shutter is turned upside down and then a hole drilled and than that retainer is pounded into the hole and the hole is drilled a 1/4 " shorter than the pin retainer ,than the shutter is placed on a shutter hinge pin ,than the top one is ponded in and the top hinge is put on the house holding the shutter on to the house . it should be made of brass and the wood grain your seeing is just wood stuck to the retainer from all those years in the wood rotting away around it ...IMHO

Upvote 1
its a metal insert to a cabinet door ,they pounded them in to a pre drilled hole and than the door would push down on a pin fixed to the cabinet , much the same way old house doors were pin to the wall with pins ..threw the years the door and the wood would rot away and leave those laying for some future treasure hunter to be amazed at his find well done sir you have won the game ..you have found a door pin retainer ...!
Thanks for your insight to what I found. I was curious to what it was ,but now I know. Thanks from Nash County,NC

Upvote 0
Solution

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back