✅ SOLVED Found this behind an early 1800s house in Nash County NC and was curious if anyone had any idea what it could be.Piece of wood was in narrow end.

Drinkcap

Greenie
Sep 10, 2024
1000001487.jpg

Solution
its a metal insert to a cabinet door ,they pounded them in to a pre drilled hole and than the door would push down on a pin fixed to the cabinet , much the same way old house doors were pin to the wall with pins ..threw the years the door and the wood would rot away and leave those laying for some future treasure hunter to be amazed at his find well done sir you have won the game ..you have found a door pin retainer ...!
Thanks for your insight to what I found. I was curious to what it was ,but now I know. Thanks from Nash County,NC
Upvote 5
Just a wild guess, but looks like part of a wildlife call, duck call or predator call. Something along those lines. That part would hold the reed, inserted into the body of the call, the wood you speak of may have been cork. Cork was commonly used to keep the reed in place in older calls. Just a guess.

Good call, possibly a vintage duck call. There are metallic made ones out there.

35510744361_25590fa7ba_b.jpg

Upvote 4
Thanks for taking a look.
2 part question:
1st: Are those holes that I see?
And if they are do they go through the casing wall?
Screenshot_20240912_155754_Chrome.jpg

2nd : The end looks like it was made that way, or it broken off and just a piece is remaining.

Screenshot_20240912_155801_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 1
2 part question:
1st: Are those holes that I see?
And if they are do they go through the casing wall?
View attachment 2168479

2nd : The end looks like it was made that way, or it broken off and just a piece is remaining.

View attachment 2168480
No the holes don't go through the casing and a broken off piece of wood is coming out the narrow opening. Thanks

Upvote 1
its a metal insert to a cabinet door ,they pounded them in to a pre drilled hole and than the door would push down on a pin fixed to the cabinet , much the same way old house doors were pin to the wall with pins ..threw the years the door and the wood would rot away and leave those laying for some future treasure hunter to be amazed at his find well done sir you have won the game ..you have found a door pin retainer ...!

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back