Found these iron items at a 1880-1940 farm. What are they?

Apr 15, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these two items at a farm/homesite that I have successfully dated from the 1880s to the 1940s. The first item first struck me as a large drawer handle, but if it had been a drawer handle, there would have been evidence of rubbing from the brackets used to hold it to the drawer. Then I thought it might have been a striker from a flint and steel, but the striking edge is round and usually the striking edge is flat in my experience. The only other thing I could figure it to be is some sort of horse tack or just possibly an early form of brass knuckles?!?!

Item:

unknown iron item 1.jpg

The second iron item I found was very rusted over, and I originally just thought it was iron scrap so I decided to mess around with cleaning methods. Since I do not have an electrolysis set up going yet, I used a hammer to knock off the thick rust coating, and then I used an electric wire wheel machine to remove the small surface rust. o my surprise, the iron item actually appeared to not be scrap but an actual tool. Due to its symmetry, and the still sharp very consistent beveled edge on the narrow end of the tool, I feel it may be a blade from a wood plane.

Item:

wood plane blade cleaned.JPG

Example 1880s Wood Plane tools:

wood plane 2.jpgwood plane.jpg

As always,

Thanks ad Gig 'Em

It looks like a clinch/sench buckle used on a saddle, the second item looks like a wedge but if it had a handle/bit hole it could pass as an ax head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting. Any idea how old this particular style of buckle would be? My best guess would be very late 1800s like 1890s?
Someone in my local club said they found a buckle almost identicle to this but with the prong in the center so I definitely believe it's a buckle now. Now the age has me intrigued.

Upvote 0
I'm with capsmith, looks like washtub handle to me too. Growing up I took bath's in one of them things. The zinc reacted with the soap making the water blue and slick feeling and it tasted funny also. Of all the things I remember about growing up taking a bath in a washtub and the outhouse in the winter time is 2 things I DO NOT MISS !!!d2

Upvote 0
my 2¢...
#1 is pretty beefy and the inside has rounded corners (seems more likely for comfort, than function?)...some sort of handle would be my guess as well.
#2 quite possibly from a plane? Just thinking out loud... I've never "studied" them, but have passed by many old planes while browsing antique shops. I can't say that I recall seeing any that had a sharp edge on the narrow end as you describe.

Upvote 0
Horse tack or washtub handle? How wide is it? Looking at the pictures I'm inclined to think it's a buckle as a washtub handle would have to fit more than a couple of fingers, also most handles attach with two rivets, or a loop that going through a metal strap/plate that's attached on the side. Comparing a wash tub loop handle and this find they're a different style.

Upvote 0
Yeah this one has a distinct "clam shell" shape that all of the wash tub handles discussed and I saw on Google have exhibited.

A friend in my county detecting club said he found a horse cinch buckle exactly like this so I am awaiting a confirmation picture from home. Assuming mine is the same as his, mine doesn't have the middle spine to lock the belt in place.

I shall keep yall posted! Thanks for all the help yall!!

Upvote 0
Could be a D ring off a saddle, and there doesn't need to have a nub or tongue, the latigo can just as easily be tied as buckled. However, that said, I've never seen a D ring that looks exactly like your find, so even though it could be, I'll go along with the tub handle.

Upvote 0
If the top edge of the "tool" is damaged from pounding, it is probably a wedge. I've found iron wedges like that in a 19th C lumber camp. I believe they were used when sawing large logs to keep the saw from getting pinched/stuck half way through the cut - but I can't prove it...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back