Found on beach south of Sebastian

IsabellaSea

Apr 24, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DSCF2582.jpg

Found in sand south of Sebastian Inlet. Confirmed 1715 era but confusion on what it is. Cloak closure? medal?

Material-24K
Two open pineapples dangle from a bar from S hooks-inside one is the letter S made with a sea nymph and the other a Portuguese man o war.
Open caps most likely held pearls or some other gem.

Beautifully mystifying.

Upvote 0
Interesting and a beautiful image.

Taffi saw ithe piece and so did Mr. Bill Moore. They have the hunches of cloak closure (no clasp). Or hitched in on a rosary (tax avoidance). didn't get any further than that. And there is no enamal, Bill thought so due to the photo I provided him. All gold.

My idea was the pineapples pass through two button holes, no buttons required. Perfect for near the neck on a cloak or shirt or blouse.

Or perhaps a passenger in the ship wreck could have worn it or otherwise had it on his or her person and lost it.

I've not heard back from the Dubose experts yet. Vixen of a riddle.

Upvote 0
Was this a recent find? Post the story in Todays Finds for banner for sure. My vote is in..

The banner is the line of pictures at the top of this thread. These are the very vest finds.

Upvote 0
I think members will want to see more pics and the backside for identification.

Upvote 0
zoommow.jpgresized.jpg

Here's a shot of the Pineapple with Man o War.
And one of reverse side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Will post more pics.This is not a recent find but banner-worthy for sure, if the rules allow.
Un fortunately banner is only for recent finds unless the rules have changed. I am guessing you found it after the hurricanes. Its a worthy and interesting 1715 find, not Middle Ages.

Shouldnt a cloak closure have a hook, clasp or some way of attaching it together? Did you take it to the Sebastian museum? I agree post in Shipwreck section.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my own field test, there is no need for a hook, clasp or attachment if I pass the pineapples through two button holes (think ves with buttonholes on either side, no buttons).
Posted in shipwreck section, thanks for the hint. Took to Tafi and Bill Moore in mid 90's when found. ?Yes to 1715 style and a perhaps on the cloak closure.
A big puzzle.

Upvote 0
Its hard to tell the size. Its better to use a coin for size reference or a rule..

Upvote 0
I'll do it. Thanks.
Meanwhile across top is 4.1 cm
From top bar to bottom of pineapple is 4.1 cm.
Each pineapple is 1.5 cm long and ~1.5 cm at widest point.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back