Found on beach south of Sebastian

IsabellaSea

Apr 24, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DSCF2582.jpg

Found in sand south of Sebastian Inlet. Confirmed 1715 era but confusion on what it is. Cloak closure? medal?

Material-24K
Two open pineapples dangle from a bar from S hooks-inside one is the letter S made with a sea nymph and the other a Portuguese man o war.
Open caps most likely held pearls or some other gem.

Beautifully mystifying.

Thanks. I am so curious about who created this little beauty (a Central American enslaved to Espana?) and its purpose. Dumb luck find but smartly cherished.

Upvote 0
Very cool piece and it must be worth a chunk of change.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Yes. Doubt I can snag a COA so am looking for a professional well versed in the 1715 finds who can appraise.

Upvote 0
WoooHooo! Gorgeous gold! Can't help identify it. Wow!

HH,
Anita

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, and looking at it under a loop the rough marks from the artiste are visible. Not crude by any means but not smoothly refined. A rare beaut.
And I have found more without a detector than with. I have kind of a sense that directs me. Oddly enough it is true.

Upvote 0
This stuff was made for Royalty / the queen ,with the gold stolen from the natives......You will not find much info on the piece-very nice!!!!!The Spanish weren't bringing shiploads of gold over to give to the Indians-they were stealing it from the indians & taking it home, back to Spain... They would bring artist to the new world /America to make trinkets-- most was melted into bars..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WOW!
dont know if a whats it can be voted banner,but i think it should

this pg has a lot of links to material culture of the Middle Ages,maybe it will help

I enjoy finding connections in the material culture of the Middle Ages; finding images, descriptions, and artifacts in museums
that tell us how a medieval thing was used, who might have used it, and why.
Karen Larsdatter's Medieval Material Culture Linkspages

Upvote 0
Thanks. For sure it is museum material. I'm unfamiliar with a voted banner item but it sounds like a compliment. I'm all for it especially if it puts the image out there for others to help decipher. Plus I need an expert in this field to render an appraisal.
Meanwhile, I will skip over to the medieval material culture linkspages. Thanks for the great lead on this!

Upvote 0
Two places you can post this! One is in the Surf and sand forum, and the other is ship wrecks. Guys on the ship wreck forum are very well versed on stuff from the 1715 ship wreck fleet items!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back